Recording My Voice in GarageBand

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fred44, Apr 18, 2008.

1. fred44 macrumors newbie

I'm not very tech savvy and so far posts I've read have me more confused. I want to record my voice as one of the tracks in GarageBand and cannot figure out what specific equipment (microphone, more?) I will need to make that happen. A Logitech USB Desktop mic doesn't seem to do it. I have a brand new Mac with Leopard. If I need to use audio input port on rear of screen, is any specific equipment recommended? Thanks!

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

You current mic should do just fine. Plug it in and go to the sound section in system preferences and see if it is recognized.

imac, and all the laptops have built in mics as well.

3. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

I use a Logitech USB Desktop microphone and it works well. You just need to set the input device in System Preferences > Sound, and in Garageband Preferences, under Audio/Midi.

You can use your inbuilt microphone as well, as mentioned.

To record your voice, click the + sign at the bottom left of Garageband and choose 'Real Instrument Track'.

4. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

If this is something you want to continue doing/developing, and want to get better results than with the Logitech USB mic, you could also look into purchasing an audio interface and microphone. For starting out, you could easily find both for under $400.

Here is an option to give you an idea what I mean: E-mu 0404