Recording on MaCBOOK desktop

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by AntBoogie, Jan 22, 2009.

1. AntBoogie macrumors newbie

Okay fellas. IM totally in experimental mode because i have to get this project done. I tried to record and edit music with the new macbook which doesn't have firewire drives with it...total pain inn the ass..anyway, i started trying to do it with usb. By the way i have a lacie drive...anyway, the 1st day was cool and then the next day gave me problems..so i copied the session folder to my desktop and i have been working off of that. Now my question and/or concern is Will i expect some problems working off of my desktop like this? I usually work off of the drive but i believe it is to slow to transfer speedy and stead protools information..and is there is any kind of alternative setup that I can use to facilitate my needs? Thank you for everyones response in advance.

2. ColinEC macrumors 6502

I don't see a problem with using a MacBook to record (unless you are recording large amounts of tracks simultaneously, and the USB transfer speed is bothering you).

I'm not sure if there is very much you can do about the slow transfer speed and the inability to transfer uncompressed audio onto a drive/through a USB audio interface.

3. jono_3 macrumors regular

if you are using pro tools, usb drives are not officially supported. you will be on using your internal hdd but you will experience more frequent audio dropouts. the biggest thing you need to worry about is how hard audio is on a hard drive. writing lots of data and playing lots of data back repetitively from random places wears out the mechanical workings of a drive fast. youll be fine for an albums worth of songs, but i wouldnt make a habit of it.

4. AntBoogie thread starter macrumors newbie

so what do i do.? do i continue to record to the desktop or upgrade? Whcih will cost me a few grand!! Is there another way?