Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterSmith

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
Cambridge, UK
My presentations (for univ. lectures) are mostly in the form of PDF files which I show using Adobe Reader or Preview -- the files are generated in fact by LaTeX.

What I'd like to be able to do is to record some of these as real-time presentations with sound, to be published as video podcasts.

Any pointers to software solutions would be very gratefully received. Unless I'm being very dim -- quite possible! -- the page http://www.pure-mac.com/presentation.html doesn't seem to point to what I need. (ProfCast would have been good, but it doesn't work with PDF presentations.)

larkost

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Your best option is probably to use Preview.app and Garage Band to make an Enhanced Podcast (not this is still images with sound, not video). Here is what you want to do in a nutshell:

1) Open Garage Band and make a new Podcast.

2) Open your PDF and make sure that the thumbnails are visible

3) Drag the thumbails from the right side (I am in 10.5) into the "Podcast Track" in Garage Band, and then record your text and adjust the "lengths" of the images to match your spoken word.

4) well... thats about it...

PeterSmith

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
Cambridge, UK
Many thanks .... sounds good .... but the PDFs get compressed/trimmed to a square format. Can I retain the original slide shape/quality? I'm intending something that can be downloaded and played on a laptop rather than an iPod (well maybe a bigscreen Touch/iPhone).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.