Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

personnamednick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2008
So, every so often I'm browsing the internet, or even doing routine work on my macbook pro... this really creepy recording plays at the most random times. It doesn't seem to happen due to an error while operating which generate the normal chimes to indicate a bad move or click. This recording plays at the most random times and its always the same one. Im wondering if
someone could be doing this through another computer and if i could take care of this issue myself, with all your help of course. I don't know how much more specific i could get this in how and when the issue occurs because that basically i can barley understand the issue myself.:confused: I have tried messing with my security setting and my bluetooth setting as well making them as private and inaccessible as possible yet the creepy recording plays on. PLEASE HELP ME ITS DRIVING ME INSANE. and not to mention very very creepy. :eek:

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
This happened to me some time ago. It was some voice that I could almost understand, but not quite. It turned out to be some 3rd party application alerting me to some change in status. I'm really sorry I can't recall what app it was. Drove me nuts, though, until I tracked it down.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Go to:
System Preferences / Speech

your Text to Speech is probably turned on
Note that's been a feature (but default to off) of the Mac since the original Macintosh of 1979.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.