Recording RealPlayer (rtsp) streams

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iMacZealot, Apr 28, 2009.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Is there any way I can record an rtsp stream like this one? I've tried looking, and it seems possible on Windows, but I haven't found anything for a Mac. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Probably overkill for what you want but... Wiretap Studio can record whatever your Mac can play.

3. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

It looks like that just records audio, and I already have an app that does that. Is there an app that can record the video as well?

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Ah my mistake. I haven't seen a RealPlayer stream in ages so pretty much forgot they did video too! I don't think I even have the plugin installed...

I did find this from 2004... not sure if it still works though...

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031216183821835

5. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for that. I can't believe that I'm still using RealPlayer in 2009, either. It didn't work on the first try, but I'll keep working on it. (CNN, why won't you stream CNN International on your website???)

6. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I've had success saving regular Realplayer streams using the CLI mplayer using the -dumpstream option, however, this does not look like an ordinary stream, since it seems it uses a script to generate user-specific url. If you dig around the source and you know what to look for, you might find a way to get the straight rtsp:// url, but I wouldn't count on it.

You might be better off just using a screen recorder like iShowU.

7. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

^^^

Yeah, I've dug around enough and am now able to extract the raw rtsp:// url successfully, and all I want to do now is to record it, but you're probably right that my best bet is a screen recorder, so I might just wait around for this.

Thanks.