Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jchisholm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Very disappointing that my new ATV3 does not give me the option to purchase 1080p movies (at least here in Canada)
Hypothetically what would be the implications of running the video stream from a rented movie from my AVR to my Hauppague 1212 HD 1080p recorder and obtaining a permanent copy? It sits in-line and can capture any video going through it.
At least Amazon Prime will sell the movies to me via my Roku XS (much cheaper as well)

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Very disappointing that my new ATV3 does not give me the option to purchase 1080p movies (at least here in Canada)
Hypothetically what would be the implications of running the video stream from a rented movie from my AVR to my Hauppague 1212 HD 1080p recorder and obtaining a permanent copy? It sits in-line and can capture any video going through it.
At least Amazon Prime will sell the movies to me via my Roku XS (much cheaper as well)

Are you talking legal implications? Copyright infringement, as with any illegal copying.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Apart from the legal implications.....

I'm not sure how you'd capture the output of your ATV3 when the Hauppague 1212 has no HDMI input and as a result wont capture HDCP protected content.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
What about playing it in iTunes on a mac or pc and using screen capture software to record the window or full screen?

I have never done that but I have read that it works--I just don't know "how well."

I wouldn't be concerned about copying a movie I purchased, particularly at iTunes prices.

Michael

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Hypothetically what would be the implications of running the video stream from a rented movie from my AVR to my Hauppague 1212 HD 1080p recorder and obtaining a permanent copy?

This will only work if your AVR accepts the HDMI input of the aTV3 and can output that stream via component. In theory, this would work, but with HDCP, you may run into problems.

As far as legal issues go, I'd say that you'd be violating the laws/regulations. But unless you're distributing the recorded video, I can't see how you could be caught.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Quite apart from getting round the HDCP issue, the 1212 doesn't record 1080p anyway, only 1080i, so it would be re-encoding at lower quality than the original.

jchisholm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Apart from the legal implications.....

I'm not sure how you'd capture the output of your ATV3 when the Hauppague 1212 has no HDMI input and as a result wont capture HDCP protected content.

My Denon AVR has HDMI in and provides component video and toslink audio out so there shouldn't be any HDCP implications.
As steve-p says tho it will only record at 1080i.
No discernible difference probably,the Denon upscales to 1080p anyhow.
Just a thought, probably not worth the effort.

BigAudio

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
My Denon AVR has HDMI in and provides component video and toslink audio out so there shouldn't be any HDCP implications.
As steve-p says tho it will only record at 1080i.
No discernible difference probably,the Denon upscales to 1080p anyhow.
Just a thought, probably not worth the effort.

Its not likely that the Denon down converts the HDMI to component, its usually just an up convert the other way around.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK

Fair enough, in that case then the only implication would be:-

a) you're breaking the law
b) the copy you produce will be of a lower quality because the Hauppague 1212 compresses as it records, so you'll effectively be getting a file thats of a lower resolution (1080i) and thats been compressed twice, once on Apples end and once by your recorder.

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
I doubt very much that your AVR will output HDMI input over component, its against the HDCP rules. I am aware of no AVR that contravenes HDCP.

What you need to do is look into HDFury, but TBH if your really wanting to get this content no matter about copyright, there are easier methods than trying to record a itunes stream. They won't be discussed on this forum, and I personally would not endorse them.

jchisholm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
I doubt very much that your AVR will output HDMI input over component, its against the HDCP rules. I am aware of no AVR that contravenes HDCP.

What you need to do is look into HDFury, but TBH if your really wanting to get this content no matter about copyright, there are easier methods than trying to record a itunes stream. They won't be discussed on this forum, and I personally would not endorse them.

Hmm interesting I wasn't aware of the HDMI-in component-out limitation.
Yea we all know there are lots of ways to pirate a movie, no endorsement or discussion requested. Not my intent, as indicated I would like the opportunity to purchase from the iTunes store via my ATV3.
The rest is just proof-of-concept speculation.

smp99

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012
Get this. It will convert HDMI to component. Reviews speak to using this with the HD PVR
It does not convert 5.1 audio or DTS, but you can output an optical toslink cable directly from ATV to HD PVR which does have an optical input.

81251.jpg

81252.jpg

lil' brudder

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
What about playing it in iTunes on a mac or pc and using screen capture software to record the window or full screen?

I have never done that but I have read that it works--I just don't know "how well."

I wouldn't be concerned about copying a movie I purchased, particularly at iTunes prices.

A, iTunes and DVD player are designed to prevent this - it won't work.

B, I think the OP is talking about renting, not purchasing, making it rather illegal. Is that against forum rules?

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
A, iTunes and DVD player are designed to prevent this - it won't work.

B, I think the OP is talking about renting, not purchasing, making it rather illegal. Is that against forum rules?
Yes but I assumed he wanted to buy the movie as that was what I first read. Didn't realize later he said he wanted to copy a rented movie.

Michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.