Recording screen in High Quality?

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Whats the best app recomended for screen recording? Im interested in recording 5 seconds of a .MKV file. I could convert and edit in iMovie, but I believe the conversions plus the editing/publishing will make me lose quality, not to mention it would take hours to trasnport the .mkv file to imovie.

I thinks its best if I simply capture the part I need while playing in VLC. How good is the Quicktime quality? Should I get a better app? I want to get best video quality.

Tlamaki

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2013
Mexico
Whats the best app recomended for screen recording? Im interested in recording 5 seconds of a .MKV file. I could convert and edit in iMovie, but I believe the conversions plus the editing/publishing will make me lose quality, not to mention it would take hours to trasnport the .mkv file to imovie.

I thinks its best if I simply capture the part I need while playing in VLC. How good is the Quicktime quality? Should I get a better app? I want to get best video quality.
try this.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
I use Camtasia and ScreenFlow
thanks for the recomendations. Please tell me, does any of the sugestions:

1)Capture Audio as well (and if so, is it from the file itself or it uses the michrophone to capture ambient sound?)

2)Has keyboard shortcuts do start and stop the recording so that the beginning and end of the video is "clean"

Tlamaki

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2013
Mexico

1)Capture Audio as well (and if so, is it from the file itself or it uses the michrophone to capture ambient sound?)

2)Has keyboard shortcuts do start and stop the recording so that the beginning and end of the video is "clean"
1.- That's gonna be complicated, if you think about it what point would have to record video from the screen and audio from the outside.
2.- That one should be easy to setup, my recommendation doesn't have shortcuts though

onekerato

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2011
Instead of recording, try working on the movie file directly...

(1) VLC allows you to set bookmarks on the file and export the region between the bookmarks as a separate movie file.

OR

(2) use Perian with QuickTime to open the MKV file, and use the trimming tools in QuickTime to shorten the movie (after making a duplicate of the file of course.)

You could also do this using the Terminal/command-line using ffmpeg
see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5651654/ffmpeg-how-to-split-video-efficiently

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Instead of recording, try working on the movie file directly...

(1) VLC allows you to set bookmarks on the file and export the region between the bookmarks as a separate movie file.

OR

(2) use Perian with QuickTime to open the MKV file, and use the trimming tools in QuickTime to shorten the movie (after making a duplicate of the file of course.)

You could also do this using the Terminal/command-line using ffmpeg
see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5651654/ffmpeg-how-to-split-video-efficiently
Very interesting recomendations. This will help me trimming some video game recordings. How do I do this? Im running VLC 1.1.11 and Quicktime 10.0. I do have Perian.

Btw, is it possible to do both things on a .TS file too?

Last edited:

AliceWong

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2013
HD screen recording comparation

Camtasia and Screenflow can works well on Mac well that can capture audio simultaneously. As for the hptkeys, I do not like it. Now I am using Apowersoft Mac Screen Recorder because it's cheaper and offers the high quality video and audio. Oh yeah, you can find some information from this article:http://www.apowersoft.com/record-screen-on-mac-mountain-lion.html
BTW, QuickTime screen recording is also good at recording, but the audio is not so good.

MathBunny123

macrumors regular
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.