Recording screencast on a 1920x1080

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chameleon81, Apr 5, 2010.

1. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I want to record screencasts on my MAC. I'm planning to use my external screen which has 1920x1080 solution.

I have the iShowu application to record. I reduced its frame rate to 4 since I believe it still creates good quality movies with small file size.

Here are my problems:

When I upload the movie to Youtube the result is a movie with horrible quality.

My aim is to embed the video using Longtail's FLV player. ( I use visualhub as a converter ) But then I don't know what people with smaller screen resolution will see when they start watching the videos created with 1920x1080 .

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Quicktime records full screen. Did you try that?

3. chameleon81 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

Thanks for suggestion. My problem is not with the recording. I can record with iShowU full screen while being able to adjust the frame rate.

My question is with publishing.

4. dodowolf macrumors newbie

It's a good idea to record at HD, but a bad idea to publish at full HD.

Yes Youtube now supports full HD, but the quality is not pixel perfect as required by more of screencast. And for this small laptop I am using, the resolution is still 1024 * 768, which means the characters on screencast will be barely visible because it's shrunk to fit into the display.

I suggest you use some post editing tools to process the video, enlarge and enhance (aka only see a portion of screen) and publish @ a max of 720p, unless you are sure your audience are using full HD monitors to watch it.