Recording Shows with Macbook...?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by krewelement394, Jan 13, 2009.

1. krewelement394 macrumors regular

krewelement394

hmm i have always wondered if i am able to record tv. shows on my macbook! ? i have Dish Network DVR, so if i am not able to record tv shows i really dont mind i can record them either way lol but still it would be nice to take my shows on the GO! rather than buying of those expensive handheld video thing from DISH ...anywho can i record? if so how...?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You might look into the eyetv, it sounds like it might be a good solution for you :)

3. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

EyeTV is GREAT. I have both the EyeTV 250+ hooked to my iMac, and a EyeTV Hybrid that I take on the road with my MBP. Watching/recording is very easy and great quality, letting you program specific over-the-air channels/schedules to wake up and record a specific show.

You can certainly hook it to your dish/sky service, but the problem I've experienced with this, is that the channel selection must be controlled from the remote/box your cable provider gives you, rather than controlling it from the computer via eyetv. Over-the-air tv is controlled from eyetv, since it's also a receiver.... But when hooked to cable service: if you wish to schedule a recording while being out, this becomes tricky since the cable box must stay in the channel you wish to be recorded, so when your mac wakes up to record it, it plays that channel.

4. stevo8 macrumors 6502