Recording/sound issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Freya, May 7, 2010.

1. Freya macrumors newbie

Hello all.

There is something seriously wrong with my macbook lately. I've been using Garageband to record my band's music for months now, and just as were finishing up recordings, something goes wrong. Whenever I record a real instrument through the mac's internal microphone or with an audio interface via the firewire input, the recordings sound ridiculously shaky and echoey. Any idea what's going on? :confused:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What exact MacBook model do you have and what Mac OS X and Garage Band version are on it? Also what Firewire device are you using and what HDD do you store the sound on?

Can you post a short sound byte as an example?

3. Freya thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it's a 2008 Macbook Pro. Mac OS X 10.5.8. And I'm running Garageband 08.

And I would love to post a sample, but I have no idea how I would convert an mp3 to zip. I guess the best way to describe it is as follows: whenever I'm using the internal mic on garageband, it makes a hideous ringing noise. And when I record, it sounds like I mentioned above, echoey and shaky. Like it's being played through R2D2. I don't understand why it would make this sound even when I'm recording through an audio interface. It doesn't do it with the software instruments.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

5. Freya thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, thank you. Alright, here's a short sample I just recorded.

Attached Files:

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Thanks, but sadly my expertise ends here, as I'm not really into audio production, although my father and my brother was.

It sounds kinda tinny, have you some kind of equalizer settings enabled, that may alter the original sound?

Do you have any other sound recording program, like Audacity for example, where you can test your internal microphone or even the FW interface?
    What happens if you disconnect the interface?
    Did a new project in GB make the sound better?

And again, what exact FW interface do you use?

7. Freya thread starter macrumors newbie

I've made multiple new Garageband projects and they all make this sound. I'm using a PreSonus Fire Studio. I've got no effects or settings enabled. And that recording was done through the internal mic, although the same thing happens with the interface.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Audacity is free, so just try to record with that and see how that works, and import the final audio into GB and see if the sound changes, if the sound was fine using Audacity. Maybe it's GB, maybe it's your hardware, but that is less likely, as you use two audio devices after all..

9. DeadAir macrumors newbie

DeadAir

GarageBand Recording Problem

That is a strange one, Are you using the same recording conditions, no feedback from monitors etc?
    When using the firewire interface are you recording guitar through a mic or a line in?
    Also, what was the example you posted recorded through?

10. squirrelb1 macrumors newbie

Other noises

I've got another question about noise when converting from GarageBand to an MP3 file.

When I converted my dialogue I noticed that the playback on iTunes made me sound like I have a slight lisp. The s's are not as clear as they are on the original recording.

Any solution for this?