Recording Studio Application Question: Fan Noise Specs for new 2012 iMacs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by D*I*S_Frontman, Oct 27, 2012.

1. D*I*S_Frontman macrumors 6502

I did not see published specs for ambient noise levels on the new iMacs. Does anyone have them, and are the thinner new iMacs more quiet than previous models?

For Logic-based project studios, features like uber-high-spec GPUs and PCI expandability are less important. Available RAM and i/o to project drives are key, as is ambient fan noise.

Yes, I know that if you use ProTools, MOTU PCI-based interfaces, or Universal Audio expansion cards an iMac is a poor choice (or really no choice at all) compared to a Mac Pro tower. But for Logic users that do most of their work within their system's CPU, an iMac loaded with RAM and linked to external project drive(s) via Thunderbolt might be a decent option so long as they are quiet.

Thoughts?

2. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Wait... So you want us to enlighten you on a product that isn't even on sale?

Well, based on articles regarding the iMacs internals, it seems Apple will install the same rMBP asymmetrical fans in the iMacs, which will widen the frequency of noises and the cooling system should be incredible. They managed somehow to attach a top-tier graphics card, GTX 680MX, into the machine. Otherwise, no one has possession of one to test anything whatsoever...

3. D*I*S_Frontman thread starter macrumors 6502

As I stated in the OP, I did not see published specs. I was asking here because I may have missed them if they were hidden in some greyed out fine print somewhere on Apple.com. Also, I don't know if Apple ever reveals such data to developers or third-party accessory manufacturers.

I didn't think it was a dumb question.

4. 50548 Guest

Apple does not reveal such specs; you're gonna have to wait for reviews.