Recording TV Device...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by axeldtf, Oct 30, 2010.

1. axeldtf macrumors 6502

I currently own an Eye Tv Hybrid and use it to record tv programs. I watch these shows on either my imac (which is connected to my television) or on my iphone. I'm not really happy with the hybrid and I'm wondering if there is any other device that is similar or better. If anyone has any suggestions please do so. Thank you.

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

What are you unhappy with about the hybrid? Elgato is generally considered the best Mac TV Tuner, especially the software that ships with it. They have an external box that does the conversion and capture if you're experiencing slowdowns.

3. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I noticed when i'm recording analog, the quality is grainy and choppy. Recording digital signal from a coax is pretty good. I was just curious if there was a better product on the market.

4. jdoyle macrumors member

Does it have to be a Mac solution?

Hi,

Not sure if you are looking for a Mac based device, because I bought this little box online and it is cool

http://www.oo.com.au/neoniQ_High_Definition_Digital_P37467C414.cfm

Hi-Def tuner, stick on a USB hard drive and record away. Works flawlessly. EPG makes it easy to schedule recording. Basic and Cheap but works great. And frees up your Mac! It even plays DivX files from USB as well.

5. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Yeah, doesn't sound like a computer issue so I wouldn't think the external would help much. I'm not sure what's happening, sorry. Saw this thread on the same topic, but no resolution :(

http://forums.elgato.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7561

6. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

Also i should mention that elgado eyetv's customer support isn't the greatest. Roxio makes one just for analog signals. I may check that out

7. ActionableMango, Nov 2, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010

ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Recording analog TV actually requires a beefy computer because it has to encode the analog signal into a digital file, usually MPEG-2, on-the-fly. If your CPU isn't up to snuff, or your are using the computer while recording, even just for display, that could easily result in choppiness. Digital recording is actually much simpler because it's simply recording the same stream of 1's and 0's it is receiving.

That said, you can get around the analog problem by getting a tuner with a built-in hardware encoder. This takes the load off of your CPU and passes it to silicon especially dedicated to the purpose. An EyeTV250Plus has a hardware encoder. It should do the trick and improve your analog recordings.

8. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you so much ActionableMango for your advice. I never realized that. If i put the display to sleep while recording (control+shift+eject) will that help my recordings? Thanks again for your help

9. dissolve macrumors 6502a

That may help, but if your sig is up to date, you may want to look at hardware decoders as recommended. Try monitoring CPU usage during an encode with the Hybrid and see if you're maxing out your system.

10. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

11. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I don't know how much is enough. It's free to try. I'd also make sure nothing else is running.

12. dissolve macrumors 6502a

You're welcome :)

Let us know your progress and what solution works for you. I'm sure many will benefit from it.