Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
Just like Flash, my advice is to stay with a stable version if you find it. It's not like they are rolling out cool new features every quarter.

----------

Should be. Plenty of ways to get the video in a proper format for iPad/streaming, EyeTV even offers some automatic conversion ability. I haven't used it myself, but I know some do.

My biggest issue is getting the content to TV's in other rooms. I'm in a townhouse so there's no way to run cabling throughout the unit to get an antenna signal to multiple rooms/DVR's. Otherwise I'd probably just buy Tivo units for each room. But if I can make this work with what I've got then that would be perfect. Then I'd just need to purchase an antenna and a couple of HDHomeRuns...

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
My biggest issue is getting the content to TV's in other rooms. I'm in a townhouse so there's no way to run cabling throughout the unit to get an antenna signal to multiple rooms/DVR's. Otherwise I'd probably just buy Tivo units for each room. But if I can make this work with what I've got then that would be perfect. Then I'd just need to purchase an antenna and a couple of HDHomeRuns...

Well, you said Airplay. So then you just need a compatible format to send, hence my comment.

But...does this place have prewiring for cable? You could make use of that for an antenna. I find Tivo much less of a hassle than EyeTV, I have both.

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
Well, you said Airplay. So then you just need a compatible format to send, hence my comment.

But...does this place have prewiring for cable? You could make use of that for an antenna. I find Tivo much less of a hassle than EyeTV, I have both.

Yes, it's already pre-wired for cable, but I cannot install an external antenna. So I'd have to use something inside the living room or one of the bedrooms upstairs. Since U-verse sends the signal from the single DVR out to the distribution panel outside the unit maybe it would work ok with sending the antenna signal to the other two rooms as well. I'd just have to try it out and see I guess.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
It seems like what you're asking for is Sky+, or Freesat+

Sky boxes may not work in Germany, I believe they need a phone line connection, but Freesat+ boxes should be fine. I had a Humax FoxSat HDR for a while, until I moved to a flat with no dish but a good aerial. Then I got a Humax Freeview+ box. They're not cheap, and the software is a little clunky, but functional. You can even plug in an external hard drive and use a basic file explorer to archive your recordings (SD only). You can then play them back using VLC on your Mac, should you want to.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD

this was more or less my reason when I started this whole thing only i just didnt want to have to pay for additional cable boxes.

I was able to stream live tv to my ipad, then airplay to my tv in different rooms. Then when streaming live tv broke, I started looking for other options.

I set up my basement with HDMI over cat6, and ran 2 100 foot cables from my living room into my utility area in my basement then across to my tv which got live tv to my basement only had to watch what was on upstairs which created issues. then with 10.8 and airplay mirroring, i can stream from my office where I have the cable box and EyeTV located now to any of my ATV2/3's which is a pretty good 90 percent solution, and im not just limited to itunes formatted media, i can do mkv's and such. plus I have a mini in my basement as well in case I want to transfer a movie down there to get DTS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.