Recording University Lectures

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Konvert, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Konvert macrumors newbie

Konvert

Hi,

Just bought a blackbook for university and I was wondering if audacity was any good for recording lectures? I know there are many similar threads but I don't think that any of them answer this specific question.

If anyone can recommend any other software that would be great, bearing in mind that i'm looking for free software.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Audacity might be okay, as it just uses the (internal or external) microphone to record, on which the overall quality depends.
    You can set any quality you like.

Do you have a special microphone or do you use the internal?

3. thecoard macrumors member

thecoard

I'll tell you what I've started using, and take it for what its worth, but in Office 2008, in the notebook view at the bottom of Word, it will create a sort of virtual notebook. At the top of this screen, there's a button that says "Audio" and you can press record to record there. What's really cool is that while recording, if you type the notes as well at the same time, it will make each piece of audio start where you started typing. Just try it and you'll see. I've started using Word only for this reason. Good Luck!

4. Uoila macrumors member

I'll second that.

I know you said free, but thecoard is right, I use the exact same feature and it works like a charm!

I let it run for about 45 minutes and the generated file with text and audio was only about 7 megs. Its a great solution.

5. MacNichi macrumors newbie

MacNichi

Wow!

I did not know that it could do that! Now I can sleep and record next year in my Bach of Design degree! :p Seriously though... I don't have one yet, but as I keep reading, it just assures me "I'm getting a :apple:Mac!"... can't wait... :D*sneers at HP Pavvy*

6. thecoard macrumors member

thecoard

Don't sleep in class. That makes me so mad seeing people waste away their education.

what I've found in doing this bit with word is that not only do you have your notes, but you can listen to the lectures while reading, so it kind of makes the lectures better known.

I'm going to try to find out how to export the audio to listen to the lectures on my iPod.

Edit: To export audio as a .mp4, go to Tools>Audio Notes>Export as .mp4

7. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I use it also and love it. Great program.

8. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

I use Audacity or Boom Recorder for more complex stuff, but you could also try the freeware app Audio Recorder - very basic, and has worked just fine for me when recording interviews, lectures, etc.