Recording video from a USB connected microscope.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by amoda, Oct 17, 2007.

1. amoda macrumors 6502a

Hey,

In a lab I'm working in we're using a microscope that can connect to a computer/screen via usb and provide live feed. Now i'm trying to figure out how to record that live feed, if possible.

I've tried using QuickTime Pro's record video feature, but it always goes straight to the iSight. I've read/heard in some places that QT gives preference to connected peripherals only if they connect via firewire, but give preference to iSight if the connected peripheral is connecting via usb. Wondering if anyone knows a way behind this. Edit: Just read this "QuickTime Pro can capture video from most FireWire-equipped sources, including the Apple iSight, DV cameras, and some webcams." Nothing on USB-equipped sources.

Something interesting is that the microscope doesn't show as being connected to my mbp at all (i.e nothing on the desktop shows up). However, i know it's connected since the software that came with the microscope detects it.

Thanks for any help!

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I suggest trying iMovie. It can catch video many different sources.

3. amoda thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah yes, sorry forgot to mention that.

I tried iMovie HD, iMovie 08, and QTpro. None worked! I think it might be due to the fact that, as mentioned, the MBP doesn't seem to even know something is connected to it.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

4. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

iMovie will only work with firewire camcorders. I don't know a solution, but what I woudl suggest would be to find a website that has a forum dedicated to :apple: computers. Ask the question there and hopefully some knowledgeable people will be able to help you. :D

5. amoda thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha! Yeah gee...I wonder where I could find such a place? :p

I've got to tell you, I'm quite surprised that this is an issue. I always assumed that QTpro would work, I don't see why it can't. It never even popped into my head that this might be an issue.

6. I'm a ROb macrumors member

Maccam supports quite a few cameras:
    http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/
    But I'm not sure if QT doesn't support it, Maccam will.

I'm a PhD student (physics) also working in a lab with microscopes. Which kind and brand is your microscope? I'm using a Nikon inverted microscope (TE2000) with a C1 confocal head. It's connected to a HP PC. It would be nice if they would have a mac version of the driver software...

7. Jason_Bryan macrumors regular

I have used this software to connect a usb microscope to my mac mini. The microscope was one that intel once made for primary schools and home use so not really lab quality :) but it may be worth a try

8. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

any screen capture program should do the job, right?
    can you actually see the video on your computer somewhere?
    or you can't and you want to capture it straight from the microscope?