Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsbarone

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2007
Hey,

I'm going to be taking a road trip in a few weeks, and would like to chronicle it much the way I've seen people do before, by recording the whole thing with a webcam. My question is this:

Is there an easy way to record video over long periods of time without taking up your entire hard drive? I've got a good 90GB left on my 2.4GHZ 15" MBP, but really don't want to use all of it for a little side project. I'd appreciate recommendations on free or open source solutions that I can use for this project.

Thanks a lot!

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
Hey,

I'm going to be taking a road trip in a few weeks, and would like to chronicle it much the way I've seen people do before, by recording the whole thing with a webcam. My question is this:

Is there an easy way to record video over long periods of time without taking up your entire hard drive? I've got a good 90GB left on my 2.4GHZ 15" MBP, but really don't want to use all of it for a little side project. I'd appreciate recommendations on free or open source solutions that I can use for this project.

Thanks a lot!

I don't know how fast recording with QTPro will use up the hard drive, but you might try a few minutes of recording with it, see how large the file is, then do the math, then just let it sit and record for a while to see how long it will go.

Brian

jsbarone

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2007
Ok, I'll look into that. obviously I'm shooting for longevity with the roadtrip being lengthy and all---I'm wondering...is there an easy way to get a long amount of time out of a 2.4GHZ macbook pro? I was planning on closing the lid (keeping the laptop alive though) and just sticking it in the backseat and hoping for the best. Can you guys recommend anything else? I don't have an inverter...

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Ok, I'll look into that. obviously I'm shooting for longevity with the roadtrip being lengthy and all---I'm wondering...is there an easy way to get a long amount of time out of a 2.4GHZ macbook pro? I was planning on closing the lid (keeping the laptop alive though) and just sticking it in the backseat and hoping for the best. Can you guys recommend anything else? I don't have an inverter...

My recommendation would be to buy an inverter for $20-$40...inexpensive and it solves the problem of battery life...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.