Recording Vinyl and Cassette with Audio Interface?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by gvdv, Jul 11, 2008.

1. gvdv macrumors regular

Hi,
    I bought a Presonus Firestudio audio interface some months ago for multitracking. It has several different types of inputs (1/4", XLR).

A lesser 'task' is that I want to convert my vinyl and cassettes to digital audio, and I'm wondering if I can plug my cassette player and/or record player directly in to the FS, or whether I will need some other amplification stage as well.

Which physical connections would be the easiest? RCA stereo to 2 x 1/4" mono?

And maybe going through the FS isn't the best idea - maybe I should go straight into the computer. I have a mac pro (not Mac Book Pro), with 5GB Ram, and several hard drives, all greater than 250GB capacity.

Also, because I have been recording exclusively in GarageBand so far, I haven't yet got to grips with the FS's mixer software.

As you can tell, I really don't know what I'm doing in this regard, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

GVDV

2. hakukani macrumors regular

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Or just take the signal from the Record Out (tape recorder) outputs of a stereo receiver to the 1/4" inputs of the Presonus.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

fwiw, i've found i've need to boost signals out of cassette players some 18 dB to get a decent signal into my converters. i just use a mic pre for that.

5. hakukani macrumors regular

Don't forget to apply the correct Dolby (B or C) or dbx when transferring your cassettes, too.

6. gvdv thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for the replies.

Zimv20, I'm presuming that the mic inputs of the Presonus would work for what you're talking about. Is that right?

CanadaRam, just to clarify your response to hakukani's message, I presume that you mean that I just take the record out (outputs) from a stereo receiver in order to record the tape recorder, not the record player, right?

If this is the case, hakukani, is there any way to come out of the receiver to boost the record player signal?

Finally, when coming out of the tape recorder outputs on the receiver (or any stereo outputs), into the 1/4" inputs of the Presonus, do I use mono RCA to 1/4" adapters? I presume so.

Thanks,
    GVDV

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yes. you shouldn't need much gain at all. for my deck, i've found that the output levels are just too pitifully low.

8. hakukani macrumors regular

The receiver has a phono preamp in it. The tape outs of the receiver will work fine.

9. gvdv thread starter macrumors regular

I can't believe that I never responded to this, so, many belated thanks to everyone for answering this.

GVDV.