Recording vinyl to an iBook G4

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by rebelx24, Mar 30, 2009.

1. rebelx24 macrumors newbie

Alright, I already know I'm gonna need an analog-to-USB converter, but is there a really cheap one out there (cheaper, than say, the Griffin iMic)? Looked around at my local RadioShack, and they didn't seem to have the answer. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

The problem is going to be Mac-compatible drivers. Honestly, go for the iMic - it's worth it.

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

The imic is cheap as chips as it is. I doubt there is a less expensive option.

4. sagnier macrumors regular

i dont see why you cant just use an analog cable and pass the audio from the stereo output of the vinyl amp to the audio input of the ibook and record in garageband. then bounce to whatever format you want...

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

I was thinking the same thing. The iMic is the same quality as built-in audio, nothing more. So why use it? If you have a stereo reciever with a built-in phono preamp then run it's "tape out" or other line level output to the computer directly.

That said. This is going to take so much of your time that I'd rather spend some $$$ and get a good 24-bit x 96K capture so I'd never have to re-do this.

6. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

+ 1

7. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

ye, i used a simple RCA to stereo jack to record my vinyls in, which is good enough quality for me, but if you want good quality ones you want to get a good audio interface/a-d converter. you can get some cheap ones that simply have RCA and jack inputs, not sure if quality wise they will be leaps and bounds better than the biult in input

8. Lord of Sound macrumors newbie

Instead of using analog-to-USB converter you can go for a simple stereo jack.
    I use Golden Records which seems to be wonderful program. It gives a great quality and available for trial.

9. rebelx24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, to anyone who's responded and mentioned anything about the iBook's input, there's one big problem: it has no input. This is the big issue, and why I'm trying to find some sort of iMic-type of option.

10. ChrisA macrumors G4

You are right. I had forgotten the iBook had only audio outputs. I just looked it up. Yes you will need a USB audio interface. The Griffen iMic is the lowest price option and has quality just like the built-in audio interface the comes on most current Macs. No great but OK. If you can spend more you can get a better interface. The next price point after iMic is about $80.