Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whisperblues

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I'm not good at this sort of thing at all, but my partner is living long distance right now and I'm sending him a mix c.d. and I wanted to record a little voice introduction and put it on the c.d. but I can't figure out how to record my voice on garage band and then convert it to mp3 or whatever it needs to be burned onto a c.d., any help would be very appreciated!

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
If you've got a Laptop or iMac, use the built-in Mic. If you've got a Mini or Pro, you'll need an external Mic.

Create a new project with one track, and make sure it's a real instrument track. Set the input to "Channel 1 (Mono)" (this should be your built-in Mic). Press record. Tell your loved one how much you love him and how great the mix CD is. Press stop (um, actually, press Play - this stops it). Trim the recorded track to your liking using Edit > Split. Play around a bit. Do Share > Send song to iTunes.

Actually, I think Audacity would be more flexible for what you want, and it's free. Go search! :p

SL

whisperblues

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
thank you! but, sorry I'm so bad at computer-y things but how do I make sure it's one track, and how do I make it a real instrument track?

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
If your version of Garage Band is like mine (I'm on '06 - v3.0.5), then when you start a new project, by default it gives you one "software instrument track" - a grand piano. This is no good to you - delete it (Track > Delete Track).

Then when you create a new track (the '+' button at bottom left), it asks you whether you want a software instrument track or a real instrument track.

Your next question will possibly be 'how do I select 'Channel 1 (Mono)' as the input. The answer would be to press the (i) button bottom right, and a panel slides into view on the right. The input selection is there near the bottom.

Don't worry, Garageband isn't as easy to use as the other iLife apps, and for what you're trying to do it's a bit "Sledgehammer/Nut". You may really find it easier to use Audacity.

Good luck!
SL

whisperblues

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
perfect! I made it and burned it and it worked great, thank you so much!
I would have downloaded the other application you suggested, but I figured since this was a one time thing I'd just go with what I had. I'll definitely check it out if I decide to do more of this in the future.

JENNJENN84

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2009
Help

So I have read all of these replies, and I have followed them to the letter. I even tried downloading the other software to try to record something. I cannot get the computer to recognize my mic. I have tried everything. Its like it just doesnt pick up the sound. There is no option to test the mic on the iBook G4. How can I see if its working or if its broken. I dont want to buy an external mic if I dont have to. I dont have the disks to do the apple hardware test. What can be done to see if its a user error (me) or a computer error (it).

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
To test the built-in Mic, open System Preferences, and go to Sound > Input. Select 'Internal Microphone' from the list, adjust the 'input volume' if necessary, and clap or shout or something. You should see the input level meter jump accordingly. If so, then your microphone works.

HTH
SL

PS: I just did this in Leopard on my MBP. It may be slightly different on your iBook and if you have an earlier version of OS X, but you get the general idea.

lsaadai

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2009
Garage Band

I've recorded a text onto a disk via GarageBand, but it seems the only way to listen to the CD is on a computer that has the program. Is there anyway to get it to work on a regular CD player?

Elaine L

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
Please Help!

Hey
Im a new Mac user and I am trying to record vocals for a few demo songs. I have made the music and I have got my home made studio, I have an external Shure Mic and I have a Profire 610, the music is fine but when I record the vocals they play back all muffled and the song sounds really bad quality. Could someone give me some suggestions on how to fix this because I have tried everything!
thanks so much
xx

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
OK, a few Q's...

What model of Shure Mic are you using?
What DAW software are you using? (eg, garageband?)
How did you record the music? And what instruments did you use?
Do the vocals sound muffled on your monitor speakers/headphones?

Regards
SL

DrRock

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2005
Similar question

I've looked at a bunch of threads, as well as the mac manual, but I've only found limited info on this:

I want to record a line level audio signal (from a stereo audio source) onto my mac and save it as an audio file (.wav aiff, whatever).

From what I gather, I can send the signal into the analog input on the back and record it in garageband. I can't seem to figure out the exact steps though.

I've opened a new project, and created a new track. Should it be a "real instrument track" and does that allow me to record at line level, or only mic level? I know where the sound controls are in preferences, but is there a particular setting for line level?

Any help is appreciated.

*Edit: I figured out how to get the signal in and record it, but any tips on the right level settings would still be appreciated. Thanks!

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
Using Garageband to just record a simple audio track to a wav/aiff file is a bit sledgehammer-to-crack-a-nut. Sure you can do it, but there's simpler software for that sort of thing.

I use Sound Studio, which I love. Many use Audacity, which has the added advantage of being free.

Good Luck
SL

Ducksy

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2011
Can't record my voice...

I'm just trying to make a voice recording - Kind of want to make a few guided meditations to share with some of my meditation friends... really simple... Only not so simple... I have a Mini Mac running OS 10.6.7

I have purchased a 'Stereo Headset with Noise Canceling Microphone'

I have Plugged in the 2 little jacks - I can hear songs through the head set but I cannot get the imput to record anything.

I am trying to make a recording using GarageBand

not so intuitive.

Under my System Preferences for my computer - in the sound menu under Imput - I have only one device to select,

Name: Line In Type: Audio Inline Port

I made a new file called 'My Song' and have some basic female vocals and added a new tract called 'No Effects'

I press the red button and it looks like it is recording, only there is not any green lights bouncing up and down to indicate that any audio is getting in to the program....

Any guidance would be appreciated, Many Thanks, Judith

PS - I am hoping to end up with a file that I can play in my iTunes program or email to my friends.

Last edited:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm just trying to make a voice recording - Kind of want to make a few guided meditations to share with some of my meditation friends... really simple... Only not so simple... I have a Mini Mac running OS 10.6.7

I have purchased a 'Stereo Headset with Noise Canceling Microphone'

I have Plugged in the 2 little jacks - I can hear songs through the head set but I cannot get the imput to record anything.

I am trying to make a recording using GarageBand

not so intuitive.

Under my System Preferences for my computer - in the sound menu under Imput - I have only one device to select,

Name: Line In Type: Audio Inline Port

I made a new file called 'My Song' and have some basic female vocals and added a new tract called 'No Effects'

I press the red button and it looks like it is recording, only there is not any green lights bouncing up and down to indicate that any audio is getting in to the program....

Any guidance would be appreciated, Many Thanks, Judith

PS - I am hoping to end up with a file that I can play in my iTunes program or email to my friends.

The problem is that the microphone you have and all mcs produce a very low level signal and you only have a "line level" input on your mac. Actually I'd bet everything is working but the mic's output is so weak that it apears as silence to the line in jack.

As a test try connecting an iPod turned up to full volume. Your line in jack expects an amplified signal.

What you need is either of these:

1) a USB audio interface with a mic level input
2) A USB mic which is just a normal mic with #1 (above) built into it
3) A preamp to boost mic-levle up to line level

Pices range for $40 to quite a bit. I'd look into #2 for simple voice recordings. Get a mic stand too, handling noise sounds bad.

Dan Taylor

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2016
Keyser WV
The problem is that the microphone you have and all mcs produce a very low level signal and you only have a "line level" input on your mac. Actually I'd bet everything is working but the mic's output is so weak that it apears as silence to the line in jack.

As a test try connecting an iPod turned up to full volume. Your line in jack expects an amplified signal.

What you need is either of these:

1) a USB audio interface with a mic level input
2) A USB mic which is just a normal mic with #1 (above) built into it
3) A preamp to boost mic-levle up to line level

Pices range for $40 to quite a bit. I'd look into #2 for simple voice recordings. Get a mic stand too, handling noise sounds bad.

Dan Taylor

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2016
Keyser WV

No that's not it because somehow I got it to work fine last night and can't remember what I did different. I recorded a phone call and it was great. I tried to do it again today by creating a new track and making it under the microphone section. I never did see anywhere that allowed me to pick a "Real Instrument" like some of the posts are saying. I made sure the mac output and input was selected as the onboard mic. But it's not registering anything at all as if it's not working. I went to the sound on the laptop under prefs and looked at it and the meter was working fine there so it has to be something in Garage Band.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.