Recording w/ EyeTV 250 Plus on Digital Cable?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Khryz, May 18, 2008.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

I was wondering if there was a way for my EyeTV 250 Plus unit to automatically switch to the channel needed to record a show/movie without me manually doing it and pressing the record button?

With Analog, the unit automatically does this but with a Cable Box I have to switch the channels using the cable box remote, and if I clicked on a TV show to be scheduled for recording the unit WON'T change the channel and it'll just stay on the same channel and record that instead.

I am guessing that this is impossible with a cable box? I have the coaxial cable split coming from the cable box to the TV and my EyeTV unit.

2. OlBlueHair macrumors regular

No way to do it. You know how on your tv, it stays on 3, and the cable box changes the channels? Well in this case, the computer is just like a tv that has to stay on 3, if you know what I am saying.

3. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply.

I realized this and an Elgato Support Employee even confirmed this. He/She recommended an IR Blaster, that allows the EyeTV unit to change the channel, which enables the EyeTV unit to game back control in scheduling shows for recordings, allows me to change channels on my computer and not my remote, etc.

The only thing I would be missing that I would have on Analog is being able to watch 2 separate programs at once, with 1 being on my computer and 1 on the TV (if my brother and I wanted to watch something different but at the same time).