Recording webcasts/streaming video

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tonsorock, May 13, 2009.

1. tonsorock macrumors newbie

I hope this is the right place to ask this; sorry if it's not. This is my first time posting here. I have an iMac 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4, OS X 10.4.11.

I did a search for this question and found one...posted back in 2005, and never responded to! Hopefully I'll have better luck...;)

If I come across a streaming audio song, concert, etc. that I can't simply download, I can still record it as it plays in real time with Audio Hijack, but is there an equivalent program for video? Say for example a musical artist has a video on their site which I would like to download and save, preferably as an avi or mpeg file which I could then burn to a DVD with Toast. I've seen torrent site postings of Loopalooza and Coachella concert webcasts so there definitely is a program to record streaming video but I suspect they were done on a PC. One was in .wmv, the other .asf. I was able to convert both to .avi using VisualHub.

Is there a hopefully-not-too-complicated streaming video capture program for Mac? I'm pretty easily tech-confused...

Thanks in advance!

2. tonsorock thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks ED. TubeTV is good for a number of things.

Unfortunately, TubeTV doesn't work with one of the main video streams I'm trying to capture, namely WalMart's exclusive live-in-studio series, Soundcheck. Firefox's Download Manager also doesn't recognize or record it, so either it's a format neither program can capture, or WalMart's tech people have it blocked from being recorded. Any other programs that anyone's aware of that might work?

Thanks in advance...