recording wireless mic audio used on stage?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by steveOooo, Jun 4, 2011.

1. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

I may be filming several live open mic shows

Its one camera, using sony z1 - i have the Sennheiser EW100-ENG G3 kit so i have a senn. camera receiver.

Would this pick up the wireless mic audio from the singer's wireless mic on stage? - would this mess up the pa system, ie can two receivers pick up the audio at the same time.
    i assume you can because its just a radio transmitter?

If theres more than one singer, would all mics be broadcasting on the same frequency? I have a rode ntg2 so perhaps stick this near the stage with plug on transmitter - where would be the best place to put this - ie side on / front on? (on a mic stand) this would effectively get any guitar / drum players etc... or multiple singers.

2. musique macrumors regular

musique

If you position the Sennheiser mic close to the singer’s mouth and you get good audio levels at your recording device, you should be able to record that singer’s vocals.

However, with the Sennheiser G3 you need one transmitter with one receiver so you’d have to get a hold of a G3 set (mic, transmitter, and receiver) for each singer you want to pick up. Then you’ll either need a mixer with enough inputs or a multitrack recording device.

The Sennheisers will generally find a free channel in their range so there shouldn’t be any problems with having two or more A bands, for example.

The Rode NTG-2 is a shotgun mic and would probably work on a boom for a singer, but, as a rule, the NTG-2 as well as the Sennheiser lav are probably better for dialog than for live music recording. With live music the sound pressure levels can spike dramatically, which is why dynamic mics are generally used in live performances. (That's just a guideline, though, not a rule.)

How well have you worked with the PA audio guy/gal? Could he or she provide you with a pretty good stereo mix (optimized for a recording) for your camera?

3. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

That will solve all your problems. If your Sennheiser can take a line input (and from the looks of it your kit comes with the SKP100 G3 Plug-In Transmitter that has XLR input), make friends with the audio guy and plug right in to the console. You'll get a perfectly captured, nicely mixed sound without running the risk of overloading your mic.

One receiver can only pick up one mic. They have a discrete channel.