Recording with Hauppauge HD PVR

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yaser, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Yaser macrumors newbie

Hi. I know there might be a lot of threads out there dealing with recording with a PVR on a Mac. But I need help cause I have a very certain setup.

First off, I want to record Xbox 360 gameplay to my Mac. I have an Xbox 360 Slim and a computer monitor.

I connect my Xbox to my monitor using HDMI because HDMI and VGA are the ONLY 2 ports in my monitor. I connect the optical audio from my Xbox to my Turtle Beach X41 headphones. My Turtle Beach headphone receiver has an optical in and optical out. I have the optical in connected to my Xbox and when I'm playing with friends I connect the optical out to a surround sound speaker system in my room.

The big problem here is that I want to record high definition gameplay with a Hauppauge HD PVR to my MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Intel C2D with 4GB of RAM). I also want to use a video amplifier splitter so I can get even better quality video.

I can easily buy some cables that have HDMI on one end and Component on the other.

To sum it up...

Xbox to Video Amp using an HDMI to Component cable. From the Video Amp one output goes into the monitor using the HDMI to Component Cable and the other output goes into the Hauppauge HD PVR which goes into my Mac.

I want to know if this is possible. Also if there is a better way to go with what I got. And if the HD PVR is compatible with a Mac.

Keep in mind that I haven't bought anything yet.

Thanks again in advance for reading all this. I really appreciate it.

2. xDeathReaperx macrumors regular

The Haupaughe HD PVR only records via Component (720P) or RWY Cables (480). But since your monitor doesn't have any of those port's your stuck. BUT WAIT. There is a solution!! :D

Here's what your going to want to do:

Buy this ($79.99) - http://www.xcm.cc/xcm_1080p_megacool_vga_box.htm (It will convert your VGA to Compenent an

You may also have to buy the Xbox 360 VGA dongle.

Please watch this video before you do anything, I know the title of the video is wierd but he explains how he got a monitor and HD PVR and Turtle Beaches to work with his HD PVR. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EoLD6yCD4Y

I hope I Helped :D

3. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

first off, the HD PVR isn't made for a mac. You need some software to interface with it. I currently have an HD PVR that i record xbox gameplay with onto my MBP. I use a program called EyeTV. You can look up Elgato and download it from them.

Also, the HDPVR doesn't allow HDMI use so you will have to use the component cables that came with the xbox and feed the signal from the xbox into the HD PVR. From the HD PVR you can send the signal to whatever your heart desires (It will be a component). If you want my solution...you are spending $200 on an HD PVR...buy a better TV. you can get one cheap that is great for your use. even on Component cables, you still achieve High Def.

4. Yaser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. But heres the thing. I can buy some cables that convert Component to HDMI. Instead of having to buy that box I can just buy cables that covert right?

Also what is the best quality?

5. Yaser thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I think I figured it out. Lemme know if this will work or if theres a better way.

From my Xbox I connect to the PVR input via Component.
    From the PVR I use the output and connect to the XCM VGA Box via Component.
    From the XCM VGA Box I connect to my monitor using VGA.

That would cost around $300.

6. xDeathReaperx macrumors regular

Yup. Buy everything on craigslist and you will only spend under $220 (in total) likr me. I got a great deal and bought the Model 1212 HD PVR for $125 :D

Sorry for the late response btw.

-xDeathReaperx