Recording with iSight

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zforrester, Jan 3, 2006.

1. zforrester macrumors member

Jun 12, 2005
    I was wondering if there are any apps out there that use isight to just record video, like a security camera type thing.
    any suggestions?
  2. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    iMovie can do that.

Eats up massive amounts of HD space, though. Maybe there's a better program out there for this purpose that records in a lower quality to conserve HD space.
  3. condor macrumors member

Feb 17, 2004
    Quicktime Pro also lets you record video directly with your iSight.
  4. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2003
    EvoCam allows you to record. A few other applications are out there. The article at and the first two linked pages in that article give an overview of some of the main non-chat iSight applications.
  5. zforrester thread starter macrumors member

Jun 12, 2005
    wow, thanks guys, awesome stuff.
  6. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    The iVeSeen application looks pretty interesting. Does anyone have any experience with it? It would be nice to have an inexpensive video recording application I could use to send "video mail" to my kids while on long business trips.
  7. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    iVe used it. :p I no longer have it, but it was great when I did! You can change the quality to a preset "e-mail" setting so that the files would be small enough to e-mail! All the programs Boinx makes are awesome...especially iStopMotion!

Oh yeah, for for $14.99, you can't beat it!
  8. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2003
    QuickTime Broadcaster can capture and encode to all the QT codecs, instead of capturing to DV (which is like 13 GB/hour) with iMovie.

Gives you nice small files in one step, if you don't want to buy QT Pro.
  9. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Nice ;)

Glad you liked it. As you say, for a mere $15, it seems like a nice thing to have around. Thanks for the input.
  10. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Doesn't appear that GCam is still supported or available :(