Recording with Motu 8pre?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by escomm, Jun 5, 2008.

1. escomm macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I am new here, and working on my first attempt at recording live mixes. We currently use several FOH consoles depending on each venue. From a Yamaha DM2000, PM5D, LS9's, Midas Heritage 3K, down to an allen/heath GL2400.

I am looking for some advise from someone currently using recording software and equipment. I have messed with ProTools LE for some time using a M-box Mini (nothing fancy). Looking for something which I could upgrade down the road, as needed. I have been looking at the Motu 8pre, however, just curious if you are able to use three or four of those units together in order to obtain 24-32 channels of live recording? I currently have an iMac 3.06GHZ with 4 gb ram and 2TB's of hard drive space to play with, which currently has Logic and ProTools LE.

I am familiar with live mixing and FOH mixing, however, this will be my first venture to record an event or show. I have background in music, however, just not with recording. Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

I THINK you can only add one additional 8pre.
    It would be better to get an 828 or 896 as the main interface and then to connect the 8pre via by ADAT and maybe daisy-chain another via firewire.
    Are you alright operating on something other than Pro Tools?

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

The 8Pre has a single ADAT optical interface, so you could add something like the Focusrite OctaPre for a further 8 inputs.

The 828 mk3 has 2 ADAT's so you could add 2 OctaPre's for 24 analog mic level inputs, you could add any pre that supports the ADAT interface.

Ask yourself how many inputs you actually need before you buy.

4. escomm thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not set on pro-tools, I have logic which is ok, and I am open to suggestions.

5. escomm thread starter macrumors newbie

I would guess 24 at the most. If I were to go past that, I would most likely invest in some other equipment, however, for now, I would guess the 828 looks like a good tool to start with. I really want equipment that will be compatible with the Mac OS.

The other interface I looked at was the M-audio Profire 2626, however, I have read on internet that people have had problems with some of Mac OS computers. I have had good luck with the Mbox Mini, which has worked fine for recording speakers during presentations.

Mainly, I want to get feedback from people who have, and are using the equipment and what works best for them.

Thanks for the help!

6. escomm thread starter macrumors newbie

M-Audio Profire 2626

Has anyone had any experience with the ProFire 2626? as compared to the Presonus or 828mk3? I am not a huge fan of the presonus equipment, I have had a few problems with the word clock on the digimax LT