recording

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mikehowardjc, May 3, 2017.

1. mikehowardjc macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

Can I use an apple watch to record audio in a room. Sometimes a lecture or demonstration is being made, and sense I am tired, I have a hard time paying attention.

Thanks

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Likely be better to use your iPhone to record as it has more memory.

3. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

4. mikehowardjc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, but the watch is so much more convenience. Also, if I am in a lecture it is nice not having to get out my phone and record as it would look like I am not paying attention.

So, it is possible but not recommended because of the low memory?

5. Julien, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017

Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Actually the :apple:Watch has almost 6GB for apps so it is unlikely you will run into a memory issue. However there are at least 2 other problems.

1) Battery life would suffer tremendously so Apple probably wouldn't allow an App to record for a long period of time.

2) Microphone pattern and sensitivity/noise cancelation. The mic would be a Cardioid pattern (directional) so it would have to face forward/anterior (wrist outward). Even more problematic is the poor sensitivity would limit it to a short distance. Also it probably uses noise cancelation to further reduce 'background' noise.

So in all likelihood you would have to reverse wear (Digital Crown in), sit in front row and be within a few feet (couple of meters) and the person always facing you.

6. Open Casket macrumors member

Open Casket

Aren't your lectures recorded by your university? Not trying to be an a**-hat, just interested. In Australia we have access our lectures a few hours after they're recorded. They're excellent quality and perfect for revision.

7. mikehowardjc thread starter macrumors newbie

This is work related. Not for school. If I was in school I don't think anyone would care if I wasn't paying attention.

8. TRICKorDEVICE macrumors 6502a

9. Open Casket macrumors member

Open Casket

I would if I were your lecturer.

10. friednoodles macrumors 6502

I've used Just Press Record and it's quite handy, including some nice syncing and transcription features, although I've never tried to use it for hours-long recordings.