Recording

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Patriks7, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I need a bit of help here. I have a project due, but I'm kinda stuck. I have to record something and then add audio to the background and then put it into Keynote. Problem is, I don't know what app to use to record and then merge the recording with an audio file.
    Anyone who could help me please?

2. CalumC macrumors regular

What are you recording, what are you merging it with.

3. fangirlzab macrumors newbie

I'm a bit confused as to what is being recorded. Are we talking video or audio?

If you're recording outside audio using a microphone, I would recommend audacity.

4. Mattaut macrumors regular

You can use iMovie too, just drag the audio file right into the video timeline.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Is this purly an audio soundtrack for a keynote presentation? If so then almost certainly you want to use Garage Band. To go further and explain how to use GB, we'd have to know more about your project.

The problem is that recording audio requires equipment and some skills you may not yet have. Professional sounding audio recording is not easy. First off you need good talent then a mic and it has to be placed well and the room environment maters too. This can be done on a budget but the learning curve can't be rushed into a only a few hours.

What exactly is it you need to do?

6. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Sorry for not being clear enough.
    I have to record a poem with my microphone and then I have to add a song to be kind of playing at the same time in the background. I worked on this on a Windows PC couple days ago and had the music actually playing from the computer, but it sounded quite bad.
    So in short, I need to record a poem, merge it somehow with a music file and put it into a Keynote :p

7. blueicedj macrumors 6502

ok, this is easy. Open Garageband, hook up your mic to your computer, set the input to that mic (or you can record to your computer using computers mic which most macs have). Your gonna want to have two tracks, so press the plus button on the bottom right to add one, and you'll want one to be "real instrument, which will be your voice. The left side should have the input selector.
    Now just record your voice, find the song you want to use. You can just find the file and drag it onto the empty track you have.
    Do that and your good to go, if you need any more help (maybe with shortening the audio clip of putting a fade at the end of the song so it just doesn't cut off at the end of your poem, just ask)

8. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

OK that sounds great! I'll go try it out!

9. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

OK thanks a lot guys. I just finished it. My voice sounds quite bad, cause my the line in decided not to work, so I had to use the built in microphone. But I found out how great Garageband is! And just like all other Apple software, learning the basics is minimal!

10. ChrisA macrumors G4

Likely line-in works fine. But it's a "line in" jack not a "mic in" jack. It's designed for a much higher signal level

11. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

So does that mean my microphone won't work at all with it?

12. CalumC macrumors regular

It will work, the signal needs to be amplified, thats what Pre-Amps are used for. Microphones are generally lacking in sensitivity due to the way they are designed, the signal is brought up to a higher level by the pre amp.