Recover a password-No Reset

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zuned.11, Feb 12, 2011.

1. zuned.11 macrumors newbie

Hello, MacRumors Forum!
    Yes, this is my first post. I've seen this forum a few times in my google searches, and have decided that this forum is friendly and can help me.

I seem to have a problem. I recently had to restore from a backup, because of personal reasons. Sadly, this backup was more than old. I have run into a problem; I can't remember the password from said backup.

I know that there are two ways to do it: as far as I know, the easiest is with the Mac Install disc. Sadly, mine was lost. The second way I've heard of is with the Single User mode. I remember it being that you can reset your password there, but I do not feel exactly safe doing that.

Also, you can delete the 'AppleSetupDone' file. But last time I did that, my Partition drives couldn't be detected again. I ended up having to take it in to the store, and the Genius there told me not to do it that way again because it could be damaging to my hard drive. And I feel the Genius knows what he's talking about.

I need a way to get my password, but I can't reset it. Do you guys know how I can do it? Please and thanks!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

There's no way to recover the existing password. This would be terrible security if it were possible. Resetting is the only way. The techniques you've come across are the ways to do the reset. You can contact Apple to get replacement install disc for a small fee (Approx. $30).