Recover app data from iTunes backup?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by darkgoob, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkgoob macrumors 6502

When I upgraded from iPad 2 to the new iPad a few weeks back, I did a full backup of my iPad 2, then restored that backup to the new iPad.

Recently however I noticed that an app, Daily Notes, is missing from the new iPad. It's also nowhere to be found in my ~/Documents/iTunes/Mobile Applications folder.

Now, I know for a fact that Daily Notes was downloaded onto my iPad 2 using my GF's account, and the computer I used for backup is authorized with her iTunes account. So, I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't be on the new iPad.

But now Daily Notes, and all its data, is gone. I can find no files on my hard disk named "Daily Notes" and no folder with the data. Inside the iTunes backup directory, all the files appear to have encrypted filenames.

How do I get back all my data from that app? Even if I never use that app again, I still need to get the text files that were in it. There are some very important documents for my job that I had stored inside of Daily Notes.

RANT:
    This incident highlights the reason why I am very frustrated with the app-centric document model that Apple has forced upon us in iOS. My saved documents should always be kept protected and separate from any sort of DRM. The app-centric document storage model applies the same DRM that is intended to prevent apps from being pirated to documents that the user themselves has created (and thus should have every right to). I would never have lost this data if the system used files and folders that were separate from the app itself.

-=DG=-

2. darkgoob thread starter macrumors 6502

Incidentally I still have the iPad backup from my iPad 2. Is there a utility that does something similar to what Pacifist does with installer packages, but with iPad backups? I.e. allowing you to peer inside the backup and get your saved files out of there? Thanks!

-=DG=-

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

iPhone Backup Extractor allows you to mess with the iPhone backups. Perhaps, you can use that or something similar?

4. Dark Goob macrumors regular

Dark Goob

Thanks man!

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

The reason you have no direct access to the file system has nothing to do with DRM. Chalk this one up to another uninformed user.

6. AngelOfSoul macrumors member

Try this:
    1. Update to latest itunes, then download the app using your own Apple ID.
    2. Download latest iOS firmware here http://www.iphoneheat.com/category/iphone-firmwares/
    3. Restore your iPhone (shift+restore for Win, alt+restore for Mac).
    4. Upon finishing, chose to restore from your backup. Then install the app.

Latest version of iTunes tend to preserve your appdata (thanks god) even if the app isn't installed upon backup restoration process. All you have to do restore and install the app.

7. Laurenz macrumors newbie

I know that when I restored my iPod Touch from my old (jailbroken )iPhone backup it worked great!

The only difference was that in the corner where it is supposed to say 'iPod' it said 'iPhone' which is what I had changed my iPhone's carrier logo to with a jailbreak app.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.