Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJ Jack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
Los Angeles
I found some 3.5 Floppy Disc created on a windows computer that I would like to retrieve the data from. I would like to have access to the data on my MacBookPro 2013, running High Sierra 10.13.2. Does anyone know how to do that? Thanks.

Reactions: jeyf

mathepac

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2017
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reactions: DJ Jack

DJ Jack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
Los Angeles
Hardware-wise you'll want something like this off eBay or similar ---> http://www.currys.ie/product/dynamode-external-usb-floppy-disc-drive-black/321040/400.4.2#details

Then you'll need a program or app capable of interpreting/converting the data recorded on the floppies. Are they backups recorded by some esoteric 20th-century archiving program or are they simply copies of for example WordPerfect or SuperCalc files copied from an ancient PC?

They are Word docs created on an ancient PC.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You have "two steps" in front of you.

The first is to find a way to transfer the files from 3.5" floppy media to the Mac.
The second is to read the old files and get them into a modern app.

I just went to ebay and entered "usb 3.5" floppy drive" into the search box.
I found several devices in the $10-15 range.
I will -guess- that this will work -- have never tried accessing old floppies on a modern Mac, not sure if there are drivers to run the floppy drives in the latest iterations of the OS. Perhaps someone else can help with this.

Another way might be to take the old floppies to a PC that still has a floppy drive, and copy the files to a USB flash drive, then take that to the Mac.
Is there a PC repair shop anywhere nearby that might be able to do this?

Once you have the files ON the Mac, you can try using MS Word to read them.
If Word -won't- read them, don't despair.

Try downloading the latest copy of "LibreOffice" (it's free).
Libre has an amazing set of translators built into it, and can read files from "way way back".

Another trick:
Have the icon for Text Edit in your dock.
Then, drag-n-drop the old Word file onto the Text Edit icon.
It may open the file. You'll have to "clean up" the garbage characters, but the text may "be there".

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
... take the old floppies to a PC that still has a floppy drive, and copy the files to a USB flash drive, then take that to the Mac.
Is there a PC repair shop anywhere nearby that might be able to do this?...
best in show (good advice)

alternative method:
contact a friend that works for the federal government. Dosnt have to be anything dramatic all of them still use floppy disks. its the large 8" type right?

DJ Jack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
Los Angeles
Thank you everyone. A friend of mine was able to move the data from the 3.5 Floppy to a drive. And I was able to open the files on my Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.