Recover Data From HD via USB-Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SkippyThorson, Jan 6, 2012.

1. SkippyThorson, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012

SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

I was wondering if anyone had any recovery tricks for me? Here is a list of things I've tried:

• Reset Pram
    • Power Cycle without Battery
    • Use Disk Utility to Verify / Repair (both failed)
    • Booted to the Recovery HD to find HD
    • Hold Option to Select HD
    • Hold Shift to boot to Safe Mode
    • Hold Option to boot from Snow Leopard CD (failed, only more Disk Utility)
    • Booted from Ubuntu CD to find HD (Got some files, but unauthorized, and couldn't find the Users folder (with the Documents, Music, Photos I wanted in the first place))
    • Installed Lion to a 16GB USB Flash Drive (Worked, currently using it, can't see the MacBook's HD for Migration Assistant or anything other than Disk Utility)

I could solve this whole thing by backing up when I should, I know. While I do have a backup, it's from October 22nd, and is under Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I can deal with that, but I would like some stuff that was added since then if at all possible.

Any more solutions left at all? The easiest thing right now would be if I could see my MacBook HD under Lion that I'm running off my USB drive.

(The only thing I can't do is Target Disk Mode, because I have no FireWire port.
    The one thing I could do but haven't tried is to take my HD out and put it in an enclosure.
    Situation covered here.)

2. timss1234 macrumors newbie

Hi...

There is nothing to worry about your hard drive. You can easily recover hard drive files and all the USB drive files by using Recover USB Drive Software. It supports recovery of data from USB dives which is lost due to accidentally formatting the USB drives and also can restore lost and deleted files from USB drives including pen drives, external USB hard drives etc. To know more about the software use this link...
    http://www.recoverusb.com/
    Also you can download the demo version of software here ...

3. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Hello SkippyThorsen,

You never said WHY you needed to recover data from your hard drive.
    Did you accidentally reformat it?
    Did the Mac stop booting one day?

Without knowing the problem, it's hard to recommend a fix.

You say that you don't see the hard drive when booted off of the Lion USB drive, that sounds like you had a mechanical failure and the HDD is dead. If that's the case, then you're pretty much out of luck. There are services that MAY be able to recover, but they cost thousands of dollars and make no guarantee that they will recover anything.

If it is just a formatting/partition problem, then there are software tools that can recover some/all of the data.