Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sadievan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Does anyone know if it is possible to recover a video that was deleted from the iphone. I have an iphone 3GS and my grandson was watching a video of himself and he deleted it. Is it lost forever? :(

Thanks,
Carol

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Does anyone know if it is possible to recover a video that was deleted from the iphone. I have an iphone 3GS and my grandson was watching a video of himself and he deleted it. Is it lost forever? :(

Thanks,
Carol

Do you have backup made of the phone before it was deleted? if so, you can get it out of the backup, otherwise, not much hope.

If on mac: http://www.addpod.de/juicephone will do the job nicely, I'm sure there's something equivalent for windows, but I'm not so familiar there.

sadievan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Do you have backup made of the phone before it was deleted? if so, you can get it out of the backup, otherwise, not much hope.

If on mac: http://www.addpod.de/juicephone will do the job nicely, I'm sure there's something equivalent for windows, but I'm not so familiar there.

Yes actually I made a backup yesterday. Do I just restore the backup to my phone? I'm running Windows Vista.

Thanks,
Carol

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Yes actually I made a backup yesterday. Do I just restore the backup to my phone? I'm running Windows Vista.

Thanks,
Carol

That would be one way of doing it if theres nothing else done on the phone since then you care about, finding a backup extractor is probably easier though.

just make sure you don't backup again till got the video though! if you've got auto sycn/backup set, dont plug the phone in.

sadievan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
That would be one way of doing it if theres nothing else done on the phone since then you care about, finding a backup extractor is probably easier though.

just make sure you don't backup again till got the video though! if you've got auto sycn/backup set, dont plug the phone in.

Do you know of a backup extractor for Windows? I have it set to manual and in iTunes have a check by prevent auto sync (or whatever the wording is)

Carol

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Do you know of a backup extractor for Windows? I have it set to manual and in iTunes have a check by prevent auto sync (or whatever the wording is)

Carol

as noted, I've not got any experience, the two windows ones I've found both seem to want registration for at least some functionality, so I don't know what they will do for free.

http://www.iphonebackupextractor.com/ promises to do at least something without paying, so give it a shot I guess?

sadievan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
as noted, I've not got any experience, the two windows ones I've found both seem to want registration for at least some functionality, so I don't know what they will do for free.

http://www.iphonebackupextractor.com/ promises to do at least something without paying, so give it a shot I guess?

Thanks. It worked. I got the video back. Now just have to put it back onto my phone. Want to put it in the Camera Roll. I have DiskAid installed and can put the video in the media folder, but the iphone doesn't recognize it. I guess I will have to transfer it via iTunes.

Thanks,
Carol

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Thanks. It worked. I got the video back. Now just have to put it back onto my phone. Want to put it in the Camera Roll. I have DiskAid installed and can put the video in the media folder, but the iphone doesn't recognize it. I guess I will have to transfer it via iTunes.

Thanks,
Carol

I don't think you can get it back in camera roll any other way than a restore, just have to stick it as an itunes video.

sadievan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I don't think you can get it back in camera roll any other way than a restore, just have to stick it as an itunes video.

Where there is a will there is a way. :D

I tried to email the video to myself but it was too large. So I synced it in iTunes. It goes in a folder that I have just my contact pics in. So I MMS'd the video to myself. Was able to save it to the Camera Roll.

I'm happy again. Thanks again for your help. Lesson to self. Back up photos more often.

Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.