Recover deleted Quickens files from Trash

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by astrodump, Aug 4, 2010.

1. astrodump macrumors newbie

I accidently deleted my Quickens files and Emptied the Trash. Now I'm trying to recover it using Data Rescue II, I found the folder Documents/Quicken, but there is just one file. When I recover it, Quicken program won't open it - Can't load the file.

Where else could Quicken files be? I'm looking for .qdfm file format, but still can't find anything else.

Could somebody advise what else I could try to find those deleted files?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

What you did--run Data Rescue II (or 3) is pretty much your only hope. If it can't recover the file, then the data in the file was probably already overwritten by the computer--the more you do with your computer after deleting a file, the higher the chances of that happening.

Assuming you have the full version of Data Rescue (rather than the trial) you could try doing a deep scan and recovering everything it finds, even things without a filename, then sifting through those and hoping one of them is your deleted file, but the chances aren't good.

Good luck, but this is the reason that regular backups are a very, very important thing.

3. astrodump thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I run the Data Rescue II (full version, not Demo) and it finds bunch of files, but not Quickens. for Quickens it find just one folder, located: Documents/Quickens2007/ and there is just one weird looking file. and when I Recover it and then trying to open it with the Application - Quickens gives me an error: Can't load file.

but strange is that there is just one file found in that folder, there should be more files, I assume.... because I deleted all backup files and normal files... I thought there should be more than one at least.

But when I do Search for .qdfm files - no results at all!

I know that they might be deleted by the computer already... but I realized what I did right the way and started to recover them right the way... I was hoping to still recover them.

Do you know may be that Quickens puts files somewhere else?

Or do I recover everything? not just Quickens folder?
    Thanks!

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

I have no idea where Quicken puts things, but I'd do exactly that--recover EVERYTHING it finds, regardless of the file name. At least then you know the situation won't get any worse, as you'll have everything on hand that can possibly be recovered.

In the past, when I've run Data Rescue to salvage deleted files (as opposed to files lost to disk corruption), the files usually did not have any sort of meaningful file name. Assuming that there are no Quicken-looking named files in those that Data Rescue recovers, you'd be left going through all the files with no useful name manually to see if any of them are, in fact, the file you're looking for. Tedious, but there's not much else you can try in your situation.