Recover different ??

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Tech198, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Hi all..

I'm trying to see why the usb os x installer of Yosemite looks different on old mac, to another.

i got a usb 10.10.3 bootable media on my previous 2012 based Mac. however after getting 2015 Mac today, i decided to not worry about recovery, just boot up with usb installer i creates from 2012, however i saw No OS X utilities.. every screen seem to take me with an underlying language selection screen.

Why is this ?

Is this due to recovery partition on new mac being too new from bootable media? I gather it must be since when i try Command-R on boot, i do see OS X Utilities screen.

Just wanted confirmation... and i also guess if i erase recovery on Mac (not that i would), would this also lead to the same result.? :apple:

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like you were in Internet recovery which is different than the regular recovery that is based off the 650MB recovery partition on the drive. Internet recovery does require you to select a language before proceeding, but once you do that it looks like regular recovery.