Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2008
West Coast
Hi Everyone,

I accidentally deleted 11,000 emails from my gmail, all because Mac Mail decided to put the archive right next to the trash in Mavericks. My iPad 2 (7.0.4) still has the 100 most recent emails, and want to recover them. The iPad is currently in Airplane mode so the server doesn't delete the messages.

I have PhoneView open which allows me to view the root director of the iPad. However, I cannot find the email files anywhere. I found a couple .emlxpart files, but nothing resembling an email.

Where should I look to recover these? Or is it even possible?
Thanks!

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I accidentally deleted 11,000 emails from my gmail, all because Mac Mail decided to put the archive right next to the trash in Mavericks. My iPad 2 (7.0.4) still has the 100 most recent emails, and want to recover them. The iPad is currently in Airplane mode so the server doesn't delete the messages.

I have PhoneView open which allows me to view the root director of the iPad. However, I cannot find the email files anywhere. I found a couple .emlxpart files, but nothing resembling an email.

Where should I look to recover these? Or is it even possible?
Thanks!

I think emails are located in /var/mobile/Library/Mail

I believe you may need a program to extract the .emlxpart files (those are your emails)

if you open it with a text editor, you'll see it in plain text (with all the formatting headers and such), along with the email

I'm not quite sure how you would resync it with your email server though

have you checked if the emails are in your trash folder? https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78353?hl=en

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2008
West Coast
Thanks, I managed to manual forward them all to myself. I put the iPad in Airplane mode, forward them all to myself manually, filling up my outbox. Then I set that email account to only sync manually and turned off push. When I turned Airplane mode off, it emailed me everything, based on the message already downloaded to the iPad, without trying to email the contents from the server so it all worked.

I couldn't find a readable version in the root directory anywhere.

A pretty stupid mistake, but luckily anything too important had been filed out of 'All Mail' to 'On my mac.' A good reminder than 3 backups of your computer, doesn't include the infamous cloud.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2008
West Coast
I forwarded everything manually. After about a hundred messages, the content was not downloaded to the iPad, despite the email and subject line appearing on the iPad. It didn't take too long, luckily anything really important was saved from be sorted to 'On My Mac' folders in Mail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.