Recover files after emptying trash? .MKV, etc?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by loieboy, Nov 23, 2012.

1. loieboy macrumors newbie

I've accidentally deleted over 60GB worth of files from my desktop - movies, music, etc - on my MacBook Pro. I'm running the latest OS. I have installed Data Rescue 3 and Drive Genius 3. I've successfully used Data Rescue 3 to perform a 'Quick Scan' and 'Deleted File Scan', which showed me most of the music and movies I'd accidentally deleted, then emptied the trash.

The file types were mostly .MKV (and BluRay .MKV), and / H.264 / .MP4 / .AAC / .MP3

The thing is, Data Rescue 3 was unable to find any .MKV files, and I'm sure it didn't find all the .MP4 and H.264 files. I tried using the 'File IQ' but I don't think that worked. I've spent about 8 hours trying to fix this but have had no luck so far, other than the music and few .MP4 files. I'm worried about losing all of my video files I'm using for my Documentary assignment.

I would be so grateful if someone can help me. Thanks

2. benwiggy, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013

benwiggy macrumors 68020

So, you didn't have a backup? :eek:
    One way or another, you're going to keep losing files until you start backing up.

I hate to kick a man when he's down, but this is the most important lesson you can learn from this.

Get external drive, plug it in, turn on Time Machine. That's it.

3. tsegha macrumors newbie

off the subject...

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

To the OP: if you've tried using recovery software and haven't recovered everything, then your next stop is a professional data recovery service, for which you can expect to pay a lot of money. There's still no guarantee that everything can be recovered.

Not at all. My original post was in reply to the OP and two other posts, now deleted, all complaining that they had lost files and had no backup.
    It's sad that people have to lose their data before learning the utility of having a backup, but that IS the most important thing to be learnt here.

Apple introduced Time Machine in 2007 (and there are other backup solutions too) and yet still lots of people come to these forums who have lost files because they didn't have a backup.

It's cold comfort for the OP, but if this thread serves as a warning to others, it will have some benefit. There is very little remedy left to suggest.

5. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Maybe....

the Stellar Phoenix edition for Mac can help you. One upside is it can take a long time and maybe you cant use your computer until it finishes. ( You can use your computer anyway, but seems to me the recovery goes better in a idel machine)

:):apple:

6. Edie Brickell, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013

Edie Brickell macrumors member

Data Rescue and Drive Genius are really good. Though they haven't worked, you should try Mac data recovery software, given here. It have an option of adding file signature with the help of which you can recover data of any file type. Try it, hope it'll work for you.
    Good Luck!!