Recover files from "overwritten" USB?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hengest, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Hengest macrumors newbie

So, here's the deal . . .

I had about a 1G movie file on a 2G thumb drive. I thought I had it stored elsewhere, so I went ahead and decided to open up some space on the thumb drive and deleted the movie file (emptied the trash with the drive still mounted). After that, I wrote an empty 1.75G encrypted DMG to the thumb drive.

Well, now I find that I actually hadn't stored the movie elsewhere, and the thumb drive is the only place I could possibly recover it from. So the way i'm thinking about this is, if the DMG is empty, does that mean that it didn't write to any space so much as allocate space to be written on, i.e. space from which I might still be able to recover most or part of the movie file?

In other words, does the DMG just create like a "shell" or a "wall" in the drive, or does it actually write over previously deleted stuff as it's being made? Is there anything "under" the DMG? Thanks for your input!

Hengest

2. simsaladimbamba

The DMG was empty, but it still had to take up storage space, thus it overwrote all the ones and zeroes it could get, including the ones you deleted before, therefore the 1 GB video file is not recoverable anymore.

3. opinio macrumors 65816

Absolutely no chance of recovery. Zero. At the very least you have overwritten part of the old file. Gone. Even then, it is not a platter drive, its a chip.