Recover files, Help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RaulLeal, Oct 4, 2008.

1. RaulLeal macrumors newbie

HI Guys,

I am new to mac and i did a mistake while trying to transfer some files.

I wanted to synchronize the files in my USB stick with my computer and i overwrote the files on my computer.

I copied the files from the USb and pasted them in my computer.
    When the computer said replace folders with the same name i assumed it would only add the new files, on the contrary it completely changed the folder and i lost the files in my computer.

WHAT CAN I DO?

Can I recover the old files?

RAUL

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I have two suggestions:

1. Stop using your computer. Every time you use applications, even a web browser, you are creating or changing disk files, and one of them might overwrite data that is still recoverable from your disk. If you have no other computer available, you could take the chance on using this one further, but that won't maximize your chances of recovery.

2. On another computer, search these forums for threads with the word "recover" or "recovery" in the thread title. You'll find a number of threads about similar situations, some with recommendations on actions you can take and software you might use for data recovery.

Deleted-file-recovery isn't easy. It can be time-consuming and cost money, so you'll have to decide how much the lost data is worth to you. Reading other threads here will let you know more about your choices.