Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
I have a MacBook with macscan and virus barrier installed on it. I was not aware that macs hardly have any spyware/viruses if any at all. I Dont know if that has anything to do with this post, but when I turn on my MacBook I always see that the trash always has something in it, things called recovered files. What are these files? Are they normal? I have them every time I start up my mac, and I've had them since I got the computer. I noticed they are pretty big files and there's anywhere from one to eight of them in the trash. Im just curious as to what these files are...

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
You mean the names of the files are like "recovered file 1" "recovered file 2" etc and they're in a folder called recovered files? Or do they have actual file names? How are you shutting your Mac down?

(And as a related question, why are you ever shutting your mac down? Most people keep their Mac on 24/7 and just put it to sleep when they aren't using it. Even on a laptop you can just sleep it when you travel with it unless you're taking it on a really long trip.)

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
(And as a related question, why are you ever shutting your mac down? Most people keep their Mac on 24/7 and just put it to sleep when they aren't using it. Even on a laptop you can just sleep it when you travel with it unless you're taking it on a really long trip.)

I don't know if that's true. I shut my Mac down whenever I'm not using it. When I worked at a small university the powerbooks we gave the students got very hot in their backbacks while asleep. We never could firgue out why. Perhaps they never actually went to sleep properly. Regardless we became conditioned to shut down all the time. I do this with my MB CD as well. It boots in about 15 seconds so I don't really mind the slight delay.

Cheers,

Sherman Homan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
The Mac OS and most applications make temporary files during the normal course of use. When you quit a program or restart the Mac, it should clean up those files and leave no trace of them. They are not for us mortal humans to worry about. However, they will show up in the Trash (or in the case of MS Office scattered all over the damn place!) if the application crashes or if the computer is getting shut down wrong.
You can remove MacScan, Virus Barrier, etc. Unless your Windows buddies are sending you infected files and you forward those on to other Windows users. In which case it is they who need to deal with their virus mal-ware.

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
ok everyone, thanks for all the replies. Appreciate them all! I understand what thoes files are now. I usually just empty my trash everytime i start up my macbook, but i now i can do it with out worrying.

And i am going to start putting my macbook to sleep more than shutting it down. I will only shut it down when im not going to use it for a few days, which is usually never. But i will have to see of it stays hot while it is asleep.

again thanks everyone!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
It's a good idea to restart about once a week, in order to clean up your virtual memory swap files, or more often if the Mac seems to be running more slowly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.