Recover files?

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
I had just rebuilt my MBP (2012) when the computer locked up completely. The partition seems to be screwed up. I had not backed it up yet, but I did have some new things on it I would like to recover as opposed to using my old backup.

I can see the drive structure in the disk utility when I boot into recovery mode but I cannot figure out how to move the directories from the Mac to the external hard drive. I am missing out somewhere on a step or two (or three... four...)

Pointers, anyone?

Many thanks!

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
I'll check both links.

But with a crewed up partition table, will I still be able to read it normally?

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
Take the problem drive OUT OF the Macbook.

Mount it in either:
- a USB enclosure
- a USB/SATA dock
- a USB/SATA dongle adapter

…. and connect to another Mac.

What happens now?

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
Here in Florida we had a little rain event so I was not able to follow up yet. Looks like it’ll be a few days…

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
Having gotten back to the adventure, I have the drive in a USB enclosure, connected to my MBA, and I can see it, but when I drop into the directories they are almost all empty. I'm letting Disk Warrior rebuild it.

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
If DW can't rebuild it, your only solution may be DataRescue 4: https://www.prosofteng.com/downloads/

I believe they a trial demo which will give you a list of recoverable files, but only allow you to recover one file without paying. Once you are convinced that DR4 will recover your file, you have to pay to get a serial number to unlock the product to recover the remaining files in the list.