Recover files?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Beachguy, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I had just rebuilt my MBP (2012) when the computer locked up completely. The partition seems to be screwed up. I had not backed it up yet, but I did have some new things on it I would like to recover as opposed to using my old backup.

I can see the drive structure in the disk utility when I boot into recovery mode but I cannot figure out how to move the directories from the Mac to the external hard drive. I am missing out somewhere on a step or two (or three... four...)

Pointers, anyone?

Many thanks!

2. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

3. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I'll check both links.

But with a crewed up partition table, will I still be able to read it normally?

4. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Take the problem drive OUT OF the Macbook.

Mount it in either:
    - a USB enclosure
    - a USB/SATA dock
    - a USB/SATA dongle adapter

…. and connect to another Mac.

What happens now?

5. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Here in Florida we had a little rain event so I was not able to follow up yet. Looks like it’ll be a few days…

6. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Having gotten back to the adventure, I have the drive in a USB enclosure, connected to my MBA, and I can see it, but when I drop into the directories they are almost all empty. I'm letting Disk Warrior rebuild it.

7. JohnDS macrumors 65816

If DW can't rebuild it, your only solution may be DataRescue 4: https://www.prosofteng.com/downloads/

I believe they a trial demo which will give you a list of recoverable files, but only allow you to recover one file without paying. Once you are convinced that DR4 will recover your file, you have to pay to get a serial number to unlock the product to recover the remaining files in the list.

8. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy