Recover Harddrive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheShinyMac, Nov 7, 2009.

1. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

My friend's harddrive on her blackmacbook has failed. When it boots up, it shows the folder with the question mark. Is there a way that I can recover her harddrive via target disk mode or some other way. Thanks for reading

2. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

Depends, is the drive making a clicking sound? if not there is a chance, if it is clicking she may have to send it to a clean room recovery facility.

Best bet if target disk mode doesnt work would be to pull the drive out and plug it into an desktop computer (the sata and power connections are the same as any desktop mac or pc). If you do hook it to a pc you will need special software to read it. You can get the trial of the software here.

3. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Best bet is to plug it into another computer. You would need something like this.
    If that doesn't work, then you'll need to send it to a clean room specializing in recovery.

Of course, you do have to keep in mind you can only plug this guy into a Mac, it's formatted in HFS format.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I have a number of tools in my toolbox since I have sensitive data on my MBP. I recommend Disk Warrior. It was the only one that could truly save my data whereas tools like TechTool (Deluxe) and Drive Genius only dealt with maintenance. You can actually pick it up in the Apple store too.

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Another tool that I used successfully in the past to recover my hard drive data is Data Rescue from Prosoft engineering.