Recover iMessage after iTunes sync

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jem57, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Jem57 macrumors newbie

I have been having major battery issues ever since getting the 5s. I've restored a couple of times from iCloud, but it hasn't worked. Apple has said they can see a lot of crashing apps in the diagnostics report (about 30). The tech suggested I wipe it out and do a sync with iTunes instead of a restore, but apparently I would lose all of my iMessages. He said there are 3rd party apps to recover that. Anyone have experience with recovering iMessages after an iTunes sync? Any recommendations on what software to use for that? I'm assuming I would also lose any other data I have on my phone - like in Viber, Whatsapp, etc, is there any way to recover other data as well? Will I lose all of my settings this way too? I've come to depend on the iCloud backup and disappointed that I can't use it and have a stable phone.

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The sync part has me confused.

You can perform an iTunes backup and then use software like iBackupbot to browse / extract and if I understand correctly only put back what your want on your phone.

I've used iExplorer to pull app data directly off the phone and put it back (no jailbreak required).

I assume you restored your data to the phone when you got it and the battery life was poor from day one? If so you can probably forget about restoring any data from a backup and restore as new and manually put your apps back on and start over. Even if you do that you can still retrieve and replace your iMessages.

3. Jem57 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I'll check out those programs.

Yeah, ever since day 1 I've had battery issues. I've restored from iCloud a few times. The 1st time it looked like the restore didn't finish - I had a photo album stuck 'downloading' for days. So, I ended up losing most of my album from that. I didn't quite follow the sync he suggested either. Said not to restore from iTunes or iCloud because it may be restoring something from my iPhone 4s that's causing the issues. iExplorer sounds like the best bet so I don't have to lose any app data by synching....synching would lose app data right?