Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skytiger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
It seems I have deleted my iPhoto library and emptied trash. :eek:

How can I recover it?

imac with OS X 10.7.5
iphoto 09 v 8.1.2 (424)

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
Either from a backup or as you probably do not have one, you get an external USB HDD and stop all activities on your current Mac.
Install whatever Mac OS X version you have onto the external HDD* and run one of the following data recovery applications to scan your Mac's internal HDD.
If you have another Mac (or have access to via a friend) with Firewire** and your Mac also has Firewire, you can use Target Disk Mode to connect your Mac to it to use the other Mac to scan your Mac's HDD.
To retrieve files, that have been deleted and also been emptied from the Trash or are on unrecognisable partitions or HDDs or on accidentally formatted partitions or HDDs, you can use

• Data Rescue 3 - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
  • Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
  • FileSalvage - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
  • DiskDrill - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (79 USD)
  • Nice To Recover - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (69.95 USD)

2012_01_02_pA1_Firewire_Ports.png

skytiger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
no money, no external drive, no firewire, no friends

thanks for that.
I dont have an external drive other than some small flash drives.

I dont have 70-100 $US to spend (and only want to do this once, not make a career out of it)

I dont have firewire, an extra computer to hook up, or friends with Mac.

I do have a fully functional hard drive, operating system, & internet connection.

Is there a way I can recover mi iPhoto library without an external drive and cash outlay?

macs4nw

macrumors 601
thanks for that.
I dont have 70-100 $US to spend (and only want to do this once, not make a career out of it)
I do have a fully functional hard drive, operating system, & internet connection.
Is there a way I can recover mi iPhoto library without an external drive and cash outlay?

The fact you're asking for advice here, means those pictures are important to you. You are going to need a data recovery expert, or follow some of simsaladimbamba's advice. That, or lose those pictures.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"thanks for that.
I dont have 70-100 $US to spend (and only want to do this once, not make a career out of it)"

Let me ask you point blank:
Do you want your data back?
Or do you NOT want it back?

If you DO want it back it's going to cost you money and time.
There is no way to get around this.

For data recovery, you'll need at least:
- another drive which can be used as a "scratch drive" for recovery
- data recovery software - and there is no "free" DR software (at least not any that is easy to use)

Also check post 4, immediately above this.
But if that doesn't work, you'll have to go the "data recovery route".
There are data recovery businesses that might be able to recover the files, but they are VERY expensive.

My suggestions for in the future:
- Get a second, backup drive
- Get CarbonCopyCloner and learn how to use it (very very easy)
- With a second backup drive, you will be able to quickly recover from "disasters" like this one.

Last edited:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
thanks for that.

First off. I think now you KNOW why you need a backup. Spend the $100 or $150 on a large external disk drive. Later after you recover the data use that for a Time Machine backup drive.

Yes you can get a bootable DVD and boot the Mac off that. Use an install disk from back when Mac OS X came on DVD.

Or the BEST plan. Take the mac to the local Apple store and have some one who knows what they are doing recover the data.

But really you are going to need a bakup drive. Actually if you care about the data three backup drives and an off site location to store one of the drives.

One More Thing: When this hapens the best thing to do is turn the computer off and do NOT boot it up except to recover data, Mac OS X can write to the disk, and over top of your data at any time. When you empty the trash the space used for the files is placed back on the "pool" of storage available for making new files. When you r computer is on it is always making new files and writing to old ones and likely over writing your photos. ... So turn it off right away and go into recovery mode.

And YES you WILL have to spend money, Buy a set of backup disks.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.