Recover iTunes purchases

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hayzen, Feb 9, 2010.

1. hayzen macrumors newbie

My Dell laptop died and all my iTunes purchases with it.

Bought a MBP and synced my iPhone to the new library. I thought syncing to a new library would be fine because I could re-download all my iTunes purchases at a later date. I later heard that iTunes only lets you download songs/videos once unlike apps which means I would have to re-purchase all my songs/videos again.

Anyone know if it's true that I have to re-purchase all my iTunes downloads? Is there anyway around this?

Also, is there an easy way to find out which apps I have downloaded before and re-download them again?

Thanks.

2. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

Go to this page: http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/

Set up a phone call or email iTunes tech support. I have heard stories that they will let you re download your lost purchases after hard drive failure or other similar events (though they only allow it once per account). Don't get your hopes up though...they may not be doing that anymore. Good luck. post back if anything happens

EDIT: In the future, always make sure you back up your music and other data. With your new mac you can take advantage of time machine. Just buy an external hard drive, turn on time machine and never worry about backing up again. It just works in the background.

3. hayzen thread starter macrumors newbie

I emailed Apple about my situation and they allowed me to download all my purchases.

Thx!

4. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

Awesome! Just make sure you back them up this time!