Recover lost files on External HD (ntfs)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by djs, Nov 26, 2009.

1. djs macrumors newbie

hi all,

I recently backed up some DVD's via Toast using Toast own file format.
    They were backed up straight to the external HD itself.

I checked that they were all working after the process finished, they were working.

But I think my MBP went into standby whilst the External HD was still connected, and so it was never ejected properly.

Now that I've come to view the files again, they aren't there!!
    There's just a Zero KB file, called 'photography', which was the name of the folder they were stored in.

I've tried viewing the folder under windows via VMware, but it says the folder is inaccessible due to being corrupt, or something.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for recovering those files?
    The external HD is NTFS, I think I used a patch so that my MBP could read/write files to it.

Thanks

djs

2. djs thread starter macrumors newbie

just a quick bump, and update. ive done a 4 hour scan with a free data recovery tool, but it found nothing.

any ideas?

thanks in advance

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Make a bit for bit copy of the drive and work off that if you can. Know the feeling as i've got a ntfs waiting to get sorted, but don't have a spare drive currently. Any way you can access it natively with a windows machine to do the drive copy then scan and recovery?

4. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

well it seems to me that the data can not be recovered, did u like download this thing that u wanted to put on there? cuz if u did just redownload it and put it on there, ill tell u how to partition it in a minute. if u had a file u wanted to put on there that cannot be retrieved well then ur going to need to restore or drag and drop, if u have a time machine backup plug that in, and open it up on ur desktop not with time machine, find ur files and drag them to ur desktop. then drag them to the external HD, after u follow the following steps.

search disk utility in spotlight. go to ur external hd in the left sidebar, and under the partition tab click on the volume scheme drop down, and select 1 partition, name whatever u want but format it as mac os extended (journaled). then click options and click the first one which should be GUID. then click partition now u can drag and drop ur files and it should work perfectly. god ive posted that partitioning instruction so many times today. anyway good luck.

5. djs thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorted it, thanks...well, Windows did. :rolleyes:

Did a chkdsk, took over 12 hours to scan it all, but it's recovered the 8 files! YAY