Recover lost photos from iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by amanekar, Jan 5, 2015.

1. amanekar macrumors newbie

I downloaded the images from Canon DLSR camera using iPhoto. After the download was complete, I was prompted to delete the images from the camera and I clicked yes but then the images in iPhoto were black (not visible although I was able to see the images in the camera before downloading). So I restarted iPhoto and found the newly downloaded images were gone. The iPhoto library does not seem to have been corrupted and have around 16GB worth photos in it which I can still easily access. So I decided to look for recovery software on internet to recover these images.

I bought Remo Software Media license and selected 'Recover Lost Photos' option. It showed me the lost images. I bought the license and then tried to save them. The saved files are of extremely small size and when I click on them, they are opened in the 'Preview' software and they are tagged with Locked. E.g. 'file 132.jpg - Locked'. I have opened a support ticket with them but I was wondering if there is a better way to recover lost images.

How can I fix this? Any help is highly appreciated.

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Sounds like it only recovered thumbnails. Were you looking on your Mac?

If so, then here's where they should be:

You can access the innards of your iPhoto Library, but do so cautiously and with a backup. You use the "open package" command on it (right click), and then you'll see a bunch of folders. Your images are, we hope, in "Masters." They are arranged by data, so you'll have a 2015 folder, and within that a 01, and so on. Drill down to the date where your photos should be based on that date stuff. That's where iPhoto would put them if properly imported. I'd suggest copying them out to the Finder and then importing again, making sure that you took steps to allow importing of duplicates.

OTOH you could try something like CardRaider to see if it can find the images on the card itself. Might be a better option.

3. Evren Carven macrumors regular

Evren Carven

Yes, i agree with this opinion that you could try to scan your Canon DLSR camera card to search the photos. But this will work just only the lost photos have not rewritten by new photos. That means you have not taken any new photo with this Canon DLSR camera card after you deleted the images from the camera.

:)