recover lost playlists on iTunes 9.0.2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by alexmac712, Jul 13, 2012.

1. alexmac712 macrumors newbie

Okay...so I opened my iTunes and got a dialog box which read "importing Itunes playlist.xml". This has happened before, so I just let it be, but when it finally did open, all my playlists were gone. Most, not all of my songs were in the library.
    All my iTunes music is stored on an external 1TB drive. I currently have 72 GB available on this drive. I have an iMac G5 Power PC running Tiger (10.4.11)
    I have tried various tips from moving the iTunes library to the trash and then importing the iTunes playlist.xml. But my playlists are still MIA.
    Is there any other method that might help?

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Try going into your iTunes music folder and replace your current library database with one of the ones in the previous iTunes library folder. I forget if they are named differently than your current library, if so change it to match the current library. Be sure to move your current library somewhere else in case the old one is outdated rather than simply replacing it.

If it is outdated you can select each playlist and export them. Then put the current library back and import the saved playlists.

Note: You must quit iTunes before replacing any library or it will just write over the library file you just put in the music library location when you quit iTunes with its current open state.

3. alexmac712 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I did what you suggested, but it only got me old playlists from 2009. I still can't get the most recent playlists.
    I deleted my damaged iTunes libraries. NOt sure if I should've. At least I got something to work. Thanks.