Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjcaguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2003
I have a legal install of MS Office on my Mac, and as it appears to be dying I want to recover the product key so I can reinstall. I lost the DVD case the program came in, and if I go to the "About" function there's no help there. I know on Windows there are pieces of software that can give you the product key, but is there anything of the sort for the Mac?

I'm off to buy a MBP 15". I'd LOVE some help here.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I like to keep all that information as secure notes inside my keychain. It seems like, at one time or another, I have to reinstall most of my apps; this is the easiest way to keep the keys easily accessible.

I realize this doesn't help you now; it's more for future reference.

apta

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
I have a legal install of MS Office on my Mac, and as it appears to be dying I want to recover the product key so I can reinstall.

Simply copy the Microsoft Office 2004 (or whatever version you have) folder in Applications to the new Mac's Applications folder. No need for anything else. :)

TheSnowman

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2009
No where to look

I used Clone to transfer everything from the HDD to new SSD.

Now I'm told that I need my product key for MS Office 2011.

Is there a way to find my Product Key on my MacBook Pro?

Is it in the registry or somewhere that can be read?

I still have the HDD.

:(

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Simply copy the Microsoft Office 2004 (or whatever version you have) folder in Applications to the new Mac's Applications folder. No need for anything else. :)
Microsoft Office actually needs to be reactivated when it's moved to a new computer.

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
I used Clone to transfer everything from the HDD to new SSD.

Now I'm told that I need my product key for MS Office 2011.

Is there a way to find my Product Key on my MacBook Pro?

Is it in the registry or somewhere that can be read?

I still have the HDD.

:(

Migration often fails to transfer all files necessary for Microsoft Office and other applications like Adobe CS. It's best to use an installer to get all the bits and pieces.

You need the CD Key not the Product ID.

The article to remove Office will identify the files used to license Office. You can copy these over. You still have to activate. The process should be automatic but often the servers are down and if you have to call they will want the CD Key. It's possible they will help if you have the Product ID.

Office for Mac 2011: Remove Office

The Product Key also called CD Key is on a yellow or bright orange sticker on the CD package. It will look like this: ABC4Z-Y9ABC-Y6MNO-K2ZZZ-P23EF

The Product ID is given during the Setup Assistant process. The Product ID will look like this: 11111-130-0001111-12345). You can find it under About for the app.

I suggest getting 1Password or similar app to save important info like your CD Keys.

TheSnowman

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2009
Migration often fails to transfer all files necessary for Microsoft Office and other applications like Adobe CS. It's best to use an installer to get all the bits and pieces.

You need the CD Key not the Product ID.

The article to remove Office will identify the files used to license Office. You can copy these over. You still have to activate. The process should be automatic but often the servers are down and if you have to call they will want the CD Key. It's possible they will help if you have the Product ID.

Office for Mac 2011: Remove Office

The Product Key also called CD Key is on a yellow or bright orange sticker on the CD package. It will look like this: ABC4Z-Y9ABC-Y6MNO-K2ZZZ-P23EF

The Product ID is given during the Setup Assistant process. The Product ID will look like this: 11111-130-0001111-12345). You can find it under About for the app.

I suggest getting 1Password or similar app to save important info like your CD Keys.

Sorry, I didn't explain the situation very well. I changed the drive on my wife's MacBook Pro.

She has misplaced the original CD.

I read on another thread that the Product ID can be used to obtain another Product KEY if you call the support line, which is why I mentioned that.

So that is what I will try to do on Tuesday - long weekend here is Australia - as I am the bad guy in this dilemma :mad: she doesn't understand computers and I don't understand :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.