Recover/Restore MBPr to its initial state.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by bekos, Nov 3, 2013.

1. bekos macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I got a MacbookPro Retina Haswell 1 week ago. I was"playing" around with multiple operating systems and I ended up deleting ALL the partitions of the disk. And when I say "all" I mean ALL! No EFI partiton no Recover Partition no MacOSX partition. So I started the internet recovery. After downloading some stuff from the internet it gave me the typical recovery environment. But there is no option "restore macbook to is initial state". WHat I man by that: How can I create the EFI partition? How can I create the recovery partition? Sure, the disk tool is available but there is no option "create EFI partition" or "create recovery partition". So what i did was to delete all the damaged partitions and create a single one. Then I started the reinstallation of the OSX mavericks from the internet. Will the installation create the EFI and recovery partitions? Or I am going to wait 20 hours for nothing (yes, 20, my internet connection is not that fast)? Can someone give me instructions on how to recover my Macbook to its initial state using the internet recovery?
    Thank you!

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

The Internet Recovery works even if you had put a blank new hard drive in the computer (correctly formated, though).

This mean that Internet Recovery will install ALL that is needed (including the EFI and Recovery partitions).

Once you have access to Disk Utility, "just in case", erase the WHOLE dic, then use the partition tab :

- change "actual" to "1 partition"
    - select the format : Mac OS extended (journaled)
    - Options : GUID partition table
    - Apply

Then choose "Reinstall OSX".

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Internet recovery :

OS X automatically uses this feature when the Recovery System on the hard disk isn't available (such as when your hard disk encounters an issue, or when your hard disk has been replaced or erased). OS X Internet Recovery lets you start your Mac directly from Apple's Servers. The system runs a quick test of your memory and hard drive to ensure there are no hardware issues.

OS X Internet Recovery presents a limited interface at first, with only the ability to select your preferred Wi-Fi network and, if needed, entering a passphrase. Next, OS X Internet Recovery downloads and starts from a Recovery System image. From there, you are offered all the same utilities and functions described above.

3. bekos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips my friend!

Unfortunately the connection to the server is extremely bad. The transfer speed is very low. Much lower than what my internet connection can achieve. Is there any other way to download mavericks for my laptop? I can't download it via AppStore btw.

Thanks!

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

You can take it to an Apple store if you have one close by to do the download as they allow this.

5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

No other way : in Internet Recovery mode, you are connected to Apple servers with no other choice.

6. bekos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I just waited for hours and I repaired it. I finally managed to install all three OSes (Debian Linux [sid], Windows 8.1 and MacOSX mavericks) with no problems. Windows couldn't be installed in EFI mode so I installed them in BIOS mode. The other two are installed in EFI mode. I used rEFInd for the booting.
    Thank you!

7. ls1dreams macrumors 6502

On a new SSD, is it possible to simply go into internet recovery mode to install mavericks rather than downloading it from USB?

I'm running 10.6.8 and can't easily make an installer USB drive.