Recover texts, notes, or contacts?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by JayHD, Jul 26, 2011.

1. JayHD macrumors member

I had my phone replaced today. I lucked out, as the one I was given still has 4.3.3 installed.

To make sure I'm clear - my SHSH blobs are now useless, and I can't restore my backup without upgrading to 4.3.5, correct?

If the above is true, is there ANY way at all for me to recover my texts, contacts, or notes? If all that data is buried in the backup, there should be a way to crack open the backup file and go find the text, right? Or is everything encrypted to the point where that would be impossible?

I'd like a self-contained solution, but as a "plan B", would I be able to restore an iPhone backup to an iPod touch? I have access to one. I could use my wife's 3Gs as well, but I don't want her to lost the ability to JB in the future if necessary.

2. enzom21 macrumors 6502

No you can restore your backup without upgrading. Simply right click your phone under devices in itunes and click restore from backup.

3. JayHD thread starter macrumors member

I was under the impression that ANY restore requires the firmware to be signed by Apple, or via tinyumbrella.

Can someone back up Enzom21's statement that I can restore a backup without touching the firmware?

4. enzom21 macrumors 6502

No you are confusing the "restore" button with the "restore from backup..." option.
    Screen Shot 2011-07-26 at 11.53.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-26 at 11.53.23 AM.png

5. JayHD thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for doubting you. I thought I knew everything, yet somehow didn't realize the a "restore" and a "restore from backup" aren't related.